If I needed to stop working, would I have to go through the ESA process again? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I needed to stop working, would I have to go through the ESA process again?

Options
ash5896
ash5896 Community member Posts: 148 Pioneering
I’ve recently been offered a job which takes me over the permitted work threshold. I really do want to do something and it’s working form home too with all the adjustments I need. The only thing I’m worried about is what if I’m unable to do it and need to go stop. I’m currently on contribution based ESA and I’m the support group. Would I have to go back through all the process again? Any advice greatly appreciated 
Ash 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ash5896 hopefully a member will be along soon to help advise you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    There is a 12 week linking rule. This means that if you had to claim again within 12 weeks you should go straight back into the Support Group. More than 12 weeks and you would have to start over.

See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661846/admv6.pdf
    paragraph V6014, and
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/928619/admu1.pdf
    Paragraph U1111.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ash5896
    Options
    Thanks for that calcotti 
    Ash 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @ash5896

Hope you're well.

Great to hear about the potential job, sounds exciting! Can I ask, with all of the adjustments in place is the job something that you are confident in doing?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ash5896
    Options
    Hi Ross 

im good thanks.
    the job will be working from home which is optional and I think would be more beneficial for myself especially with my disabilities. I’ve gone through all the process and just waiting to see someone from occupational health for adjustments etc. I’m just scared as I’ve not worked now since 2011. I became disabled in 2006 but Carried on working part time but in the end just couldn’t do it with all the pain and everything else that goes with it. 
    Im just worried in case I can’t do it again and then end up back on ESA. 
    Ash 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    It's normal to be nervous @ash5896, but it seems to be as though you've found a supportive employer who are ensuring you have all the adjustments in place that you might need. I have no doubt that you're capable of thriving in the new role. 

It's best to be honest about what you might need, and to have a productive discussion to help your employer understand the challenges you face.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ash5896
    Options
    Absolutely Ross, I’ve told them everything about my disabilities and medication. Medication worried me a little as I do get drowsy sometimes as I’m on some really strong pain relief. 
    I hope it works out but I will keep this post updated 
    Ash 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Yes, do keep us updated @ash5896
     :) 

• ash5896
    Options
    Well I am absolutely gutted. The job offer has been withdrawn as they are unable to make the necessary adjustments. The wording is along the lines of as the role involves complex situations and it’s possible that the voice activated software may not be compatible with our systems. 
    I spend so much time looking for jobs and am absolutely fed up with this now. No one wants to employ me and then the likes of DWP make me jump through hoops. I really do feel down since the last couple of days and am just another statistic that ticks a box for this government and their targets 
    Ash 
  • ash5896
    Options
    Honestly what is the point of spending so much time and effort only to be told your not suitable. I’m offered the job and as soon as they do an occupational health report it’s withdrawn. 
    I am absolutely gutted. What are you supposed to do? No matter how hard I try it’s always the same outcome and I’m just fed up with it now 
    Ash 
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Options
    I am so sorry, try to stay positive, although it is very hard. Sending you my best wishes.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.