How to stop worrying about social media, and people not following you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to stop worrying about social media, and people not following you?

Options
nathangeorge99
nathangeorge99 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited May 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have Aspergers, and have been talking to someone I like as a friend (and also secretly fancy!) on Instagram, and it's been going well. I also followed them on TikTok and liked some of their posts, but they haven't followed me back. I have been really nervous about this, and am scared that our relationship is fake or less somehow because of this. I know that they haven't posted again since I followed them, but then I remembered whenever someone follows me on TikTok I'm notified on the home-screen of my phone, so I got scared and thought "What if they have seen my follow and likes, why haven't they followed me back?". I've been trying to separate the anxiety from myself (like labelling it), as I know it is irrational. Do you guys go through similar anxieties, and how do you deal with it?
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @nathangeorge99

Welcome to the community!

I understand why that situation worries you, I've seen situations like this before and experienced it myself. I think it's important to remember that sometimes people can not follow you by mistake, or perhaps they don't get follow notifications. 

The biggest indicator of how successful things are is that they are speaking with you and it's going well, which is the most important thing. Have you discussed your feelings with them about the following?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness