No assessment needed! Does this mean it's been approved? Anyone with experience of this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No assessment needed! Does this mean it's been approved? Anyone with experience of this?

ashy_udd
ashy_udd Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
After returning a PIP claim form at the beginning of March this year for my daughter - who is now 16 and is transitioning from 'dla' - we called in this morning to check the progress and were told that an assessment is not required and the the claim has been passed to the decision maker. 
Well, we're a little, nay, very confused!
Is this a sign that it has been approved as per application?
Would they mark down a claim (by points) without assessing?
Does anyone have any experience like this which they can share?
(I understand circumstances will be different)
In everything I've read previously, I didn't expect and, have not come across this scenario.

Thanks all
Ash

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

This doesn't happen it is a paper based assessment when there is enough evidence and detail given in order to make the decision without full assessment 

It doesn't mean anything else and the dm will go through and make the decision  

I had this for my last review and it was successful 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    This indicates a paper based assessment has been carried out. 

You will be able to ask for a copy of the report still which will give an indication of the award. Decision makers often go with what has been recommended, although not guaranteed. 
  • ashy_udd
    Excuse my ignorance, but,
    doesn't everyone have a 'paper based assessment'?
    Janet1967, I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand the first paragraph of the message you so kindly replied with 

Thanks 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    No a paper based assessment is an assessment without a face to face / phone assessment. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry should have said does happen 
  • ashy_udd
    Thanks to the both of you.

Ash.
  • ashy_udd
    Hello all
    Wanted to give a big, no, HUUUUUUGE "Thank you" to everybody @scope for their help and advice (and I've asked so much, so many times) in making the dreaded transition from DLA to PIP on behalf of my daughter (16).
    We got our award letter and we received enhanced rates for both elements.
    Followed the guide lines given and all went smoothly.
    So, again, thank you to everyone on here.
    On a slightly seperate note- 
    You know, sometimes, even when you don't have an answer to a question, it's nice to drop a comment which can make the individual (going through a claim) feel a little at ease.
    Don't under estimate the effect of a short, positive msg to a post on here.

Thanks all

Ash

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @ashy_udd

That is super news and well done to both of you for the transition from DLA to PIP.

You can relax and enjoy our summer.

It does make a difference that forum member learn about positive experiences.

Ice creams all round, for you and your family tonight.
  • jtee
    jtee Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Hi.  I applied for my son’s dla to pip at 16 back in December.  He didn’t need an assessment but I did get a few questions on a phone call.
    I am still waiting for the report I asked for a few weeks ago. Well on June 4th.
    I live in Tyne and Wear.
    i did ask if the decision had been made and the chap I spoke to in Belfast said yes, it’s enhanced.  I tried to question him further but I didn’t really get any where.  He said he would raise a request for the report but no luck as yet.  If the decision has been made, I am getting concerned about the hold up with the decision letter and report?
    does any one else have experience of this?
    The process has taken almost 7 months up to now.
  • ashy_udd
    @jtee
    Fortunately, we didn't have to wait that long.
    When we eventually decided to call and enquire about the status of our claim, we were told it was with the decision maker and there was no need to call again as they would contact us once the decision was made.
    From that call to receiving the award letter it was about 2½ weeks.
    It felt a lot longer though!
    Also, my daughter's award will start 4 weeks after they made their decision which in effect adds a month onto our wait - which is no bother - but at least we know its there.
    In your favour, you do have the decision telling you its enhanced so hopefully, any day now something will turn up.
    Ash

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.