Scotland leaving the UK — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scotland leaving the UK

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
I was wondering what everyone thought about Scotland wanting to leave the UK? It appears many more people north of the border are agreeing with Nicola Sturgeon on the issue.
Would it be a bad thing? Or for the best? And what would it mean in the long term for us and for them?
For myself I think they should stay. It seems a great shame to break up the union somehow.  

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    It would be bad for wales because of the docks but I think if it did happen then wales and Ireland would probably do the same even though we are the four nations we have been mostly divided during the pandemic we all did different things and still are 

People seem to have forgotten  we still have corona virus because we have moved on from that now we have a bit more freedom which is scarey in its self 

We have come out the EU  so I don't realy know how bad it would be or if it would be better 

There is so much going on in the world at the moment to know realy 
  • LadyL
    LadyL Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    @Dragonslayer I agree with you it would be really sad if Scotland left the UK. Also, as lisathomas50 said Wales and Northern Ireland may eventually follow suit. 

Although, I understand why Scotland may feel like leaving. The UK government is a mess and Scotland probably feel like their voices are not heard and their views are not considered.

I live in England, but I don't think the pandemic was handled well at all, and I never wanted a Conservative government in the first place. They are the reason that Brexit happened in the first place and caused a rift with our Scottish neighbours. 

As for leaving the EU, I think England may have voted differently if the politicians had actually been honest and outlined what leaving would really mean i.e. what would change. I think a lot of people were confused or scared, and sadly some people may have voted to leave due to racism. :(
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I must admit if I were Scottish I would want independence, why would I really want to be governed by Westminster 600 miles away?
    I also would like to see some form of devolution for England and more powers for Wales and N.I.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    I think if it's whst Scotland want then that's whst they should do but it will impact wales I think wales should stand independent as well 
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Personally I feel we should stay as one United Kingdom.  I feel splitting into different countries would cause more trouble than it’s worth.  I am Welsh. I voted against the Welsh Assembly and I certainly would not want Wales to gain independence.
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I live in Glasgow about 2 miles from Sturgeons constituency. Not a fan of SNP whatsoever.
    I voted to remain in 2016 as did the majority and my feelings are still the same now.
    This rubbish she spouts saying its Scotland's will is not the case. How is she going to survive without the handouts from Westminster if we go independent.Indyref2 is her pipedream in my opinion
  • LadyL
    LadyL Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    @Welshjayne2021 I agree with you. We are stronger together. Besides everyone has enough to deal with without creating more problems. 

Also, I have a cousin in Scotland, and my best friend lives in Northern Ireland. I would also like to visit Wales some day. So I think I probably would feel sad if the UK splits up. 

Really, each nation should have fair representation at Westminster and they should be working together. Not one person in charge who considers their own views to be more important and thinks about what will benefit them most. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The sooner the UK moves to a federal style of government the better, it woks so well in so many countries.
    But I fully understand the SNP's desire for indy2, after all independence is their reason for existing.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    To be fair in most cases the majority win so we normaly just have to accept whatever happens I am glad that wzles has the Welsh assembly  and happy with how they coped with the corona virus even though people didn't like it they acted faster and possibly saved lives ?

Brightness