Partner trying to claim carer's allowance please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Partner trying to claim carer's allowance please help

Options
DawnXT
DawnXT Community member Posts: 30 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hey everyone so my partner is looking to claim carers allowance for me as he is my full time carer
he moved in with me eariler this year he was working before moving in, he left work and got his p45 at the end of Febuary 2021 prior to 
moving in  with me in March 2021 he has since been added onto my benefit claim 
one of the questions on the online Carers application form is as follow 

"Your Income"

"Have you been an employee Since 20th November 2020"
yes/no

have you been self employed since the 13 May 2021
Yes/no (which is obviously a no) 

what is confusing is regarding the first question my partner was already employed and a employee prior to the 20th of November 2020 but was no longer a employee before moving in with me (which was in march this year) 

so is the question asking 
1. have you been an employee since 20 november 2020? e.g started a new job on that date 20/11/20
2.  have you been an employee since 20 november 2020? e.g have you been a employee since 20 november to the present day (20 may 2021) 
3. have you been an employee since 20 november 2020? e.g been a employee during this time? 

any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advanced, kind regards. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If he has been an employee at any time in the period covered, which he was, then the answer is yes.

I assume that the 20th November date is generated because it is six months before today’s date. Note that if he met the qualifying conditions prior to today (you were getting a disability benefit, he was caring and not earning more than £128/week) he can backdate the claim by up to three months.

if he was paid monthly and his final pay was at end of February and job ended at end of February he is likely to qualify for CA from beginning of April.

What means tested benefit are you receiving?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • DawnXT
    DawnXT Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Hey calcotti, i'm on esa support group and PIP thank you for clearing that up my partner only started caring for me since 9th of March 2021 which was after he moved in, when he was working back in November 2020 he was not caring for me nor would he of met the qualifiying conditions as his wage would've surpassed the maximum freshhold "i think" but he was not caring for me at that time so it's not applicable, my partner entered the date when he started caring for me which was the 9th march 2021.

so on the basis that my partner started caring for me on the 9th March 2021 and moved in at the begining of March and stopped working in Febuary the answer is still yes given he was still employed back in november 2020? 

kind regards. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The answer is yes. Not clear how you have arrived at 20th November as the relevant date, I thought it asked about the six month period prior to the date he is asking for the claim to start from which would therefore be 9th September - not that it really matters, the answer is the same.

Note that when CA apply the earnings test they project the earnings forward from normal payday to payday. If he was paid monthly and received last pay at end of February that means he may not be entitled to CA prior to what would have been his normal March payday. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.