Moving down South, but where to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving down South, but where to?

MumAndMe
MumAndMe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hello,

This is my first post so please excuse if this isn’t in the right place!

Myself and my mum have recently sold our house and are looking to relocate, however we are not sure where to and would like some suggestions from people who perhaps feel where they live is more accessible for the disabled. Preferably in the milder southern regions due to arthritis amongst other conditions (I will be working but she is retired).

Our current town is not very physically accessible as it is on a hill (with poor access for disabled parking) and this is one of her biggest struggles, so somewhere flat would be best. We also have dogs and horses so somewhere rural is also high on the priority list.

A good GP practice and access to hospital is also very important due to the nature of her conditions requiring monitoring regularly (cardio/respiratory and orthopaedic).

Our current and previous practices here are not understanding at all; for example will chastise you for requiring strong painkillers to function and that you have become overweight but don’t recognise the fact that you have been waiting 3 years for surgery to enable you to walk to lose the weight. It is very clear that they do not read your notes as she has to constantly carry her folder with her history and medications written in, and they have no clue as to what is going on or how to proceed, we are disheartened and feel let down - I just want her to be able to enjoy he retirement without having to do the doctors work herself.

Our property budget would be £250 - 300k if this has any impact on suggestions.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Where I live in crynant  neath South Wales is a lovely village and very supportive  and a very good community eith a very good drs surgery  with also have clinics  and nurses lots of help and support for people with disabilities 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @MumAndMe and welcome to scope, how are you this evening?
    You started off by saying moving down south then ended with saying your budget would be 250-300k which might be difficult in the south of England, I agree with Lisa that for your budget s.wales might be an idea, as for GP's there are good ones and bad ones everywhere, in fact it would seem there are more bad than good, most areas have reasonable access to hospitals.
    Have you looked on some of the property sites like "rightmove" "zoopla" etc?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

I think you might struggle with the budget and some of the contradicting wants 

Eg rural location that is accessible and near docs and hospitals 

Rural tend to be less accessible not impossible to find 

As suggested have a look at property sites to get some idea of prices in different areas 
  • MumAndMe
    MumAndMe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there and welcome 

I think you might struggle with the budget and some of the contradicting wants 

Eg rural location that is accessible and near docs and hospitals 

Rural tend to be less accessible not impossible to find 

As suggested have a look at property sites to get some idea of prices in different areas 
    Hi,

I probably didn’t word it very well but I mean accessible in the sense of not having to convince a receptionist that you are in fact unwell enough to warrant an appointment, or having to call and remind doctors constantly about something they should have followed up on.
    We currently travel 3 hours one way for an appointment with a consultant so anything has to be better than that.

Just searched and there are 315 properties matching our criteria in the South East region (no pure “South” option so haven’t checked SW) so I don’t believe this will to be a limiting factor.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    At the moment most if not all surgeries are operating a triage service due to covid, you never ever have to discuss your medical issues with a receptionist if you don't want to.

It's also not that unusual to have to travel some distance to see a consultant unless it's for a routine matter.

As for property prices my neighbour was telling me last week that her neice had just sold her 3 bedroom terraced house in the S.East for £1.2 million.
    And property prices can be an issue in the south west i.e Devon Cornwall etc.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Houses here are selling for 110,00 and 95,000  thats three bedroom houses and some are as low  as 75000 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I don’t think anyone can advise on where to move to purely based on a GP surgery. You can read as many reviews as you want and get someone else’s opinion but that doesn’t mean you are going to get the same experience. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    When it comes to house prices all that glistens isn’t gold. Low priced houses are low priced for a reason. Isolated areas, bad weather, high unemployment, these are just three reasons for low prices. Buyer beware and do lots of homework @MumAndMe
    ?

eg I was looking at a lovely house in Scotland then I checked the weather, on average they expected three feet of rain a year, I metre of rain ☔️ that’s a lot of wet barbecues!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,611 Disability Gamechanger
    If either of you have any mental health conditions, I'd recommend avoiding East Anglia...  It's not even as flat as people think when you start to walk it! :smiley:  

As other have said, I don't think you can base your move solely on medical reviews.  Maybe it would be better to narrow down your search and specifically check the reviews of local surgeries and range of amenities around a prospective new home. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Houses prices are low in my area becsuse we are rural  every where has rain and lots of it as we have seen over last couple of weeks people who live here were mainly born here and sell there houses cheaper to give people a chance to own their own home 

Paying alot of money for a house doesn't mean better and buying a new build isn't always better but it's people's choice the house I am in is 110 thousand  old victoriana house three large bedrooms one bedroom is length of house large bathroom with shower large kitchen two liveing areas two large gardens live in a lane but in a village thsts very dupirtive and realy good drs surgery 

When I was married I lived in my own house it was whst looked like a very nice modern house couldn't ask for more the first winter three rooms were full of damp cracks appeared in the walls and it needed underpinning 
    The house cost 350 thousand  cost another 250 thousand to put it right I think if your buying a house you need to do your research  houses like I live in have been lived in and looked after for years but this is my opinion its personal choice at the end of the day 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,713 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MumAndMe good luck In finding a property for you both, and welcome to the forum

Brightness