Teenager with Anxiety and post 16 EHCP transition — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Teenager with Anxiety and post 16 EHCP transition

Sem
Sem Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2021 in Education
Hi, I'm new to the group. My daughter is 15 and struggling with anxiety - fear of being on her own, locking doors, being on her own in the car to a point it is hindering her independance.  She struggles with maintaining friendships as her peers are more mature.  I am in the process of a transition EHCP which is late. So I would like to ask anyone if this anxiety should also be captured as a need. My concern is once she leaves secondary school (where she can talk to the teachers) how that works at her next  stage. I am worried if I am missing anything else that should be considered at this transition point. The LA haven't suggested anything saying the school should do this and generally they have been unhelpful.  So I'm a little stuck as to where I can get independent advice. Apologies for long post.
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Hello @Sem and welcome to our community,

I understand your worry and think getting independent advice is a good way forward too.  The Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) organisation might be best placed to help you in this instance and I'd recommend contacting them via their advice line.  I hope this helps but please do come back to us if you have no luck.  All the best to you and your daughter :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sem
    Sem Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    thank you for the above post.  Unfortunately IPSEA are all working from home and the appointment booked system is fully booked for a future few weeks.  I have just heard back, after chasing, that the LA who was rewriting my plan is off sick and now I am halfway through my appeal time due no response from the LA, is there anywhere else I can get an immediate answer?

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sem

Ah that's a shame.  There's a couple of other organisations you could try, namely:
    Please let us know if you have any luck with either of those.  I have my fingers crossed!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Katharine_Alumni
    Katharine_Alumni Community member, Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi there,
    I have anxiety and believe that yes, this should have been considered as an adjustment. I realise I am late to the post, but I hope the support you have received is beneficial. 
    If your daughter would like to talk to someone about the transition, she would be welcome to be referred to our Career Pathways service. My colleague Gina and I are the Careers Advisers and we work with young people aged 16 - 25 although we are also piloting working with 15 year olds too. We can discuss hobbies, cvs, applications etc but also work on confidence and supporting through a transition. If you are interested in finding out more, please do visit https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/career-pathways/ where you can also put in an online referral too. No pressure at all of course and I would be happy to answer any relevant questions here too.
    Best wishes
    Katharine
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways

Brightness