Starting a Blog for my own use, but thinking about using gofundme in future. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Starting a Blog for my own use, but thinking about using gofundme in future.

JohnEmile
JohnEmile Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
(carrying on from title) I will be sure not to break any laws but I need the help badly, and also don't want to be seen as a grasping g!t.
Any thoughts or advice on this as it will be a big step for a major introvert.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JohnEmile

I'm intrigued!  What will your blog be about and what will the purpose of the gofundme be?  If you give us a little more detail, we'll be able to better offer support :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • JohnEmile
    What it's it's like to be recently, (4-5 yrs to get to this point), disabled, and what it's like finding out that the big safety net that you thought was there can have some huge flippin' holes in it.
    Also the wait for my powerchair, apparently after my assessment I need a top of the range one that costs about as much as a small car!?  so it looks like unless the mobility chap can pull something off, a long wait.
    Also what it's like to get granted a DFG only to find that the county you live in has 50% reports of less than ok results due to the single company that was chosen to manage all the works for it.
    So on and so on really, with probably my decor ideas for post adaption work and lots of stories and pics of my cat.
    Purpose: Get the damn W/chair quicker, I haven't been outside for 14 months and it's starting to get to me, also, and this is the bit I'm embarrassed about, possibly getting some help to further alter/decorate up to a fair standard my place as atm it's ok but like a glorified squat.
    So yeah, all that and probably tons more, have to see really.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd definitely read your blog :) Blogging is a great way to make things happen!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @JohnEmile

I agree, that sounds like something I'd personally be interested to read and it sounds like you have plenty of contact in mind already.  I say go for it :)

With regards the gofundme, this is one way that many disabled people have opted to raise money to get aids and equipment so you aren't alone.  I just wanted to direct you to this Scope webpage on 'Fundraising for yourself' which discusses it more, and advises that fundraising might impact your benefits - therefore be particularly mindful of that.  While, this Scope webpage on 'How to get a wheelchair' signposts to some grants that you might be able to apply for to help with the costs too, so perhaps give that a read?

Please keep us updated with how you get on and good luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • JohnEmile
    Well, I have started making the blog, and warned my friends that I'm doing it so they can run away!

I find it very difficult to talk much about myself and my feelings, so I'm going to make it part me and part from my cat as her observations on the struggling/worrying parts. Hopefully, this will work and I have the feeling it will help me somehow.

The gofundme bit is on the back burner for a while as I want it to not be just a  "Gimmie some money" blag type of thing, I will need to do it though as just went through all my finances with a council lady, and she told me "Wait, after all your bills are paid you'll be lucky to have a 100 pounds left a month to save up with"  so there's that then.

Thank you to all the above for the encouragement, it helps.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I think writing some of it from your cat's perspective is quite a fun idea @JohnEmile :) And you're right that it might help you to open up a bit more about the difficult bits. How are you finding it setting it all up?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • JohnEmile
    A bit confusing, but I'm starting to get the hang of it, I think so anyway.
    Atm I'm dithering if the cat pic I'm using for Lucy, (my cat) is copyright or something, I think it's ok if I use it as I'm not selling it, but not sure.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sure you'll continue to get the hang of it @JohnEmile. What platform are you using?

Hmm, I don't know much about copyright laws to be honest. Is it your own picture? If you're wanting to use a photo that you haven't taken, it might be worth using a site that posts pictures that can be used for free, such as Unsplash. 

• JohnEmile
    Wix, as it looked easiest, and I'm going to try and find the creator and simply ask them if it would be ok.
    I am trying/hoping/dreading getting all the basics done and going live next week, there is a bit of terror at any reaction atm, but Ah well, just writing a few paragraphs seems to help me.
  • Tori_Scope
    Best of luck for the launch next week then @JohnEmile :) Hopefully the reaction will be good. It might take a little time to gain some traction, but fingers crossed you'll get plenty of positive reactions. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    I've had a Blog on Wordpress.com for nearly 5 years, I'd link to it but I use it for personal ranting and raving about various topics so some of the language is a bit er, colourful to put it politely.

• Ami2301
    Looking forward to reading it @JohnEmile :)
  • JohnEmile
    Bit of a setback, I tried asking the official Motability site what I could do to help get my chair, after some questions, they tried to find my case on the official records, there aren't any, never have been. So this Motability approved man, after all the forms and details, after writing him at his request a halfish page description of myself, after phoning me to cancel a meet to try out the model of my chair so he could go this charity meet up...did not actually put me into the waiting list...bit upset and sorting things out for while.
  • Ami2301
    I'm really sorry to hear this @JohnEmile fingers crossed Motability can help sort this out for you!
  • innocent21
    innocent21 Posts: 35 Connected
    Good luck on your blog, and remember to ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA!!!
  • JohnEmile
    Back, got tons sorted out, and I'm going to revamp my wix page-thing so it looks and reads a lot better, I'm finding the writing actually helps me a fair bit, and when polished a bit doesn't read too badly, have a slightly different approach in mind now so feeling a lot better about it all.
    Thanks to all who have commented, it does help!
  • JohnEmile
    Well it's finally started, got a facebook page but atm there's nothing on it but a link to my go fund me thingie so I'm not going to post it here, however, if you would like to just read the story I would appreciate your views on it,  it ripped a huge hole in my psyche to even write all that stuff down, I'll be expanding it later, even if I get nothing from it, please message me for the link.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.