Hello I'm Marston. I have no income - can anyone help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello I'm Marston. I have no income - can anyone help?

Options
marston
marston Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello I was just wondering if you and anyone could help me I have a couple of disability’s I have tryed to work but I just can’t because of it and where I live at the moment I can’t claim benefits so I have no in come and I need my own place so I can I really need help because I don’t want to be I’ll and be on the street can you help 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why can't you claim benefits 
    If you want a  place of your own you will need income of some sort to pay bills and rent , food 
  • marston
    marston Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Because I live at a family friends at the moment it will affect there benefits if I claim them
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure it would affect their benefits If you claim as a single person with no housing costs 

Speak to welfare rights for advice 

You won't be considered fir any property without means to pay for it 

May also be worth speaking to shelter 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @marston and welcome to our online community.  I'm sorry to hear you've currently got no income - are you managing okay foodwise, etc?  How are you coping?  Are you receiving help with your conditions?  Apologies for all the questions :) 

Scope do have a benefits calculator however it would be best to check with the DWP before claiming as some benefits will affect your friends income, whilst others wouldn't.  

Also, are you on your local council/social housing provider's register? If not, this might be something you'd want to explore.  Here's a Citizens Advice webpage on 'Getting a council home' that has more details, whilst as suggested you can speak with the excellent team at Shelter too who have a free helpline which you can contact on 0808 800 4444 (open 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am-5pm weekends).

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread to make it easier for others to spot and moved it to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' category.  I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions.  Best wishes.  

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @marston :) I'm sorry to read about the stressful situation you're in at the moment. Have you had a chance to take a look at the links above? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.