Hi, I'm woodiepicker12! I have a bad credit score, where can I get a loan? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm woodiepicker12! I have a bad credit score, where can I get a loan?

2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I should clarify what I said about the CAB, they seem to muddy the waters by refering to "credit scores" was what in fairness I should have said.
    Anyway I have had my say on the subject and will duck out of this one now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Very confusing when equifax  and such like give different information thats all 
  • Lisatho11987777
    This year I have had credit rises and my credit score has gone higher on whst I can see and what the lenders see as I have two views so I could see but it is very confusing  and @woodbine I apologise  as you say there is different information  hard to see which is correct 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    If the loan is for an essential item could you apply for a charitable grant. Maybe a utility company or through a former occupation.

How about a budgeting loan from the DWP (if eligible) which means you won't pay interest.

Banks have more of a duty of care so they will do an affordability check even if you meet their credit criteria. There are credit cards with a low credit limit but high interest rate. (for building up credit score and lower entry criteria)
    If you are struggling with debt then a free debt agency might be able to lower your repayments each month so you have more cash for the things you need.

I think saving a little at a credit union to build-up goodwill for a small loan in the future is a good idea from above.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    This year I have had credit rises and my credit score has gone higher on whst I can see and what the lenders see as I have two views so I could see but it is very confusing  and @woodbine I apologise  as you say there is different information  hard to see which is correct 
    What do you mean? Credit rises? With who? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have three credit cards and two cataloges  first time in 5 years I have had a credit rise I have extra credit on my credit cards and my cataloges now was only allowed small amounts now I have larger amounts 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I have three credit cards and two cataloges  first time in 5 years I have had a credit rise I have extra credit on my credit cards and my cataloges now was only allowed small amounts now I have larger amounts 
    Yup, that’s called an internal credit review. Nothing to do with the made up numbers the CRAs use. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    @mikehughescq, well put, @woodiepicker12 also check your bills at home and try to reduce those if you can.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm no debt expert but I agree you can sort it yourself without paying for a debt management company 

Of you are struggling to pay debts ring your creditors and explain  they will work with you to arrange an affordable repayment plan 

This can include reduced payments,  interest not being charged   nonpayment for set period 

They would rather you arrange something with them than ignore the situation 

I have paid off all my debt this way and moe debt free 

Yes it does affect your credit history but I don't intend to take on debt again 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.