My kitty - just need to tell someone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My kitty - just need to tell someone

Waylay
Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
My 3yo cat, Trouble, has heart disease. He has 12-18 months to live. I'm crushed.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Waylay sorry to read that, it's always awful when our pets get sick, is there nothing vets can do
  • Waylay
    He's on meds, but his heart is twice normal size. :/
  • Sandy_123
    Awww so sorry I lost my cat too and it leaves an empty space. Make the most of your cat, such a shame as he's only a baby 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear that @Waylay. Pets really are part of the family, so that must have been very difficult news. Feel free to update us whenever you need, or share happy stories and photos with us if that'd help in any way.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Waylay Aww I'm really sorry to hear about Trouble.  The love we have for our cats is like the love for our family members.  It's heartbreaking when illness comes along and you really have my sympathy as he's such a wee boy.  Have the vets given him good care?  How's he coping day to day?  

Sending you a big virtual hug.  I hope you can make some lovely memories to cherish and I'm sure you will be spoiling him with treats and affection  <3  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Waylay
                          I'm really sorry to read your news, it must be really difficult. Sending my very best wishes and deepest sympathy, please do feel free to share on the community if you feel this would help. Thank you. 
  • Waylay
    Thank you all. He's so affectionate and loving, and yet the most efficient hunter I've ever seen. And removes any collar in less than 30s. 
  • Waylay
    Recovering from a weekend at the vet
  • Sandy_123
    Hes gorgeous 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree, he's very cute @Waylay :) I love his little paws. Have they let you know what his quality of life might be for the time he has left? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Waylay
    He'll slowly have less energy and get out of breath more easily. No pain though. I need to talk to the vet about signs to look out for so I know when it's time to let him go. My cat Kozmo (who lived to 19y!) had heart disease the last year of her life, and it was obvious when I had to have her put down. One morning she was clearly having to use her diaphragm a LOT to breathe. I called the vet, went to a work meeting, came home and spent 45 minutes giving her treats and love, and then let her go. I hope I'll be as certain with him.

Actually, the way we found out about the heart disease was a blood clot that suddenly cut off blood flow to his hind legs a week ago. Luckily, clotbusting drugs saved him, but it could happen again. If it does, I'll let him go. 

I'm still in shock, I think.
  • Waylay
    He's always seemed totally healthy, and is incredibly athletic. The vet said it's a silent disease - only diagnosed when something like a clot or breathing trouble happens, and even then it requires an ultrasound of the chest to diagnose.

I live in a large housing cooperative (22 houses/flats, 85 people, 3 gardens, several other cats). Every house belongs to Trouble, every human is subject to head-butts and purring, all cats are friends (although at first they didn't agree!), all cat food is munchable, and there's no such thing as territory. ;) When word got around about his blood clot, the Co-op raised £185 to help pay for the vet!! 

I got his cousin, Nemi, from a woman who liked to breed interesting cats. I would have preferred to rescue a cat, but one of my housemates had cat allergies, and Nemi is a low-allergen cat, so... (The housemate moved out 3 months later. Grumble.)

I went to pick Nemi up and came back with an extra Trouble. ;) The woman was being evicted the next day, and she would have had to send Trouble to a shelter, as she had nowhere to go. He was only 3.5 months old and I couldn't bear to let that happen. He's half Khao Manee (Thai temple cat), 1/4 Turkish Van and 1/4 Burmese. I figured since he was such a mixture of breeds he'd be pretty healthy...

• Waylay
    Last year, he cornered a Muntjak fawn! Luckily he's tiny, so he wasn't sure what to do once he had it, so there was time to intervene. ;)
  • Waylay
    I know, @Cher_Scope! So completely unexpected

• Sandy_123
    Hes so sweet,  at least he has a good owner a loving life, there's no guarantees with animals,mine was a breed who's owner died and I was lucky to have him  for 12 months, he was only 5 years old.  They fetch such joy don't they. 
  • Waylay
    @Sandy_123 Definitely! I'm so sorry you lost him. :/
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    He is so cute @waylay, thank you for sharing these photos with us. It sounds as though he has a very good owner and I'm sure because of the relationship it sounds as though you have, you will know when the time is right, however difficult this will be. It's always tough and I hope that you are able to both enjoy the time he has left, creating lasting memories. I truly am sorry. Thank you.
  • Waylay
    Unfortunately he had another blood clot last Saturday. We had to put him to sleep. I'm still expecting him to saunter in the door. It hurts. 
  • Waylay
    Last photo of him.
  • Waylay

Brightness