I'm on ESA SDP and PIP. My child wants to do an apprenticeship, what benefits will I lose? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm on ESA SDP and PIP. My child wants to do an apprenticeship, what benefits will I lose?

panda113
panda113 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi,  I'm after advice.  I have a 17, 15 and 13 year old. I'm on esa with sdp and full pip.
My 17 year old is wanting to do an apprenticeship. I'm wondering what benefits I will lose.
I'm a single parent. 15year old has special educational mental health needs and is currently being assessed for an ehcp. 
Any help would be much appreciate 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

There are certain apprenticeships that don't count as full time education so it will depend on what it is 

Generally they count as education so you will retain the child benefits as you do now 
  • panda113
    It's for a nursery practitioner in a day nursery between 36/40 hours a week 
  • janer1967
    Sorry just read on another site that you would lose the benefits so sorry I can't give you a definitive answer 

Other members may know but if not contact welfare rights 
  • panda113
    Not a problem. Thankyou for your help.x
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @panda113 - & welcome to the community. If your eldest has been in full time education, your Child Benefit for them will stop if they start an apprenticeship (in England). If you get Child Tax credit, that will also stop (but not until 31st August).

• panda113
    Thankyou.  So child tax credit would carry on for so many weeks.  I'm worried about paying anything back and being over payed. On top of losing now what I think will be the sdp aswell.x
  • panda113
    Is it usual for child tax credit to carry on until 31st August x
  • janer1967
    Yes it is that is the cut off date 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @panda113 - my eldest grandchild, aged 19, but has continued with their education, has just been accepted into a modern apprenticeship, so I can confirm that child tax credit will continue until 31st August.
    As far as your SDP goes, some info here: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
  • panda113
    Thankyou hun. It'd all.new to me. She's been so undecided on what to do. She's just finishing her year at college but has suffered from bullying so doesn't want to go back come September.  This apprenticeship is in walking distance from home  and is something she has spoke passionately a out doing for a few months. I'm all for supporting her. Just dont want be paying back loads of money etc which I don't have. I'm unable to work as I currently can't walk uo my garden path in crutches without being in severe pain. And I'm stressed so much trying to get this ehcp sorted for my son so he can actually attend scl more than the two mornings he currently does. Everything seems to be flying at me.lol.x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It does sound as though you've got a lot on at the moment @panda113. Is there anything in particular that has been stressing you out regarding getting the EHCP sorted for your son? And is he currently receiving any support for his mental health? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.