I have been awarded LCWRA? Can I hand my notice in? Can I add that my SSP has been used up? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been awarded LCWRA? Can I hand my notice in? Can I add that my SSP has been used up?

NickB
NickB Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there, I have recently been awarded LCWRA.
I have a job at Tesco part time.I have been off sick for sometime now due cancer.
I am due to retire in October and my question is, now that I have been awarded LCWRA can I hand my notice in, can I add that my SSP has been used up
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You can hand your notice in at anytime it makes no diff that you have been awarded LCWRA 

However as you are off sick and due to retire it may be better to just wait till you retire . 

Are you in a company pension at all ? 
  • NickB
    No real pension from them as I have only been there a couple of years, so I can't see any benefit in staying on, especially as, due to the surgery, I can't do the job I used to
    I was wondering if UC would apply sanctions

• janer1967
    It is possible uc could be affected but I'm not sure 

I think if you resign due to ill health you would be ok 

Could you discuss with tesco possibility of them dismissing you on medical grounds ? 

Hopefully other members can advise if leaving voluntarily will affect your UC 
  • NickB
    Ok, thanks very much for your advice
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    NickB said:
    No real pension from them as I have only been there a couple of years, so I can't see any benefit in staying on, especially as, due to the surgery, I can't do the job I used to
    I was wondering if UC would apply sanctions

As you have LCWRA you have no work related requirements and cannot be sanctioned for leaving work. You would not be sanctioned for leaving work due to a health condition in any case.

I assume your SSP has ended, if not then it is better financially to stay on until after it ends.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NickB
    Yes my SSP finished in January
    Thanks
  • NickB
    Further to my original post, Tesco have agreed to retire me early on ill health grounds.
    Will I need to let UC know, as I can't find this option in their change of circumstances options
  • calcotti
    You should tell them. Is there not a change of circumstances for employment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NickB
    Hi there, not for early retirement on ill health grounds. I will put a message in my journal letting them know
  • Disandy
    Disandy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am in exactly the same situation, I'm still doing a few hours a week, I have lost my responsibility I had and just doing menial jobs, have worked wmy current employer for 18 years, I had cancer and now have various health issues since, I now have fybromyalgia. I also get uc and lcwra and I don't know what to do. My few hours at work keep me mentally better, but my body suffers. Any replies would be welcome
  • NickB
    Hi, I let UC know through my Journal that I had been retired early on ill health grounds.
    The reply was, that there is no problem and it will not affect my UC as I am on LCWRA and am not expected to work or look for work.
    Hope this helps
  • janer1967
    Hi @Disandy.

You need to decide if you want to carry on working only you can do that 

If you want to leave do you have company pension If so maybe you can go for ill health retirement but this has strict eligibility rules 

Another option could be medical dismissal 

I would recommend looking at the employers policies and maybe a discussion with hr dept 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    Disandy said:
    I am in exactly the same situation, I'm still doing a few hours a week, I have lost my responsibility I had and just doing menial jobs, have worked wmy current employer for 18 years, I had cancer and now have various health issues since, I now have fybromyalgia. I also get uc and lcwra and I don't know what to do. My few hours at work keep me mentally better, but my body suffers. Any replies would be welcome
    As you have LCWRA you have no work related requirements and therefore cannot be sanctioned for giving up your employment so you only need to consIdea whether or not you wish to give up work. However, if you earn more than £120/week you would be entitled to SSP and it would be worth getting this until it is used up.
  • Disandy
    Thankyou that's helpful. Just I found its not done my self esteem very good watching someone else doing my job, I have to let it go over my head and think I'm lucky to have a job at all in the present climate ? I work in a garden centre and it's nice work
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you ever looked into accessing any reasonable adjustments @Disandy
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Disandy
    Yes, I already have that thankfully, I've been in a lot of pain recently, am trying to get help with that, so then I should be able to do a bit more! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.