Flexible working and carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Flexible working and carers allowance

Options
Pbarto77
Pbarto77 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi. I currently get carers allowance and have done since January 2021 when I stopped working as a part time teacher. I have an opportunity to do supply work from September but the hours will fluctuate. I will be paid only term time and may be asked to work 3 days for example one week then none the next. I keep getting conflicting advice and have nlt found the carers allowance number at all helpful. I had a situation a few yrs back when I had overpayment of carers allowance which I then had to pay back ( due to error from carers allowance who did not act quick enough when told of a change in circumstances. I am aware of the deductions I can make from earnings for pension/ childcare etc but any advice on whether my earnings will be averaged out over a year would be gratefully recieved as I don't want to end up working for nothing. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Pbarto77
    Pbarto77 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for this.  I can see the example of a teaching assistant and it says the dm should only take term time into consideration but does that mean that carers allowance would wait for a whole school year then divide my earnings by the number of term time weeks ? I ve been able to get no helpful guidance from the carers allowance line 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can’t add anything to what is in the guidance but I would infer that it would be reasonable to average over each complete term unless there is a shorter period over which a recognisable cycle can be see. I wouldn’t expect them to average over all the terms in a year.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.