Grocery in person or Online for Delivery? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grocery in person or Online for Delivery?

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering

Grocery in person or Online for Delivery? 16 votes

Grocery in person
31% 5 votes
Online Delivery
18% 3 votes
Mix of in person / Online Delivery
50% 8 votes

Comments

• fluffycat
    edited May 2021
    MY FAV In Person -- Can select freshest + spend as little or as much as want, though have to drag it home, if go mad.
    THOUGH less choice dependant on store size.

OCCASIONAL Delivery - At will of picker & freshness avail. Have to spend minimum amount. No dragging home but have to scoop-up shopping as most are bagless delivery! Can offer bigger selection (if in stock) to choose from.
    Handy for heavier like cat litter / washing powder.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Since the start of this year we have managed to get delivery slots quite easily, and have used a mix of tesco/asda/ice-land/ocado/morrisons. We keep putting off shopping in store I supposed we are getting used to having it delivered.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fluffycat
    edited May 2021
    @woodbine
    Sainsbury’s oddly have plenty of availability (even next day) and £1 for 4 hour window deliver good.

Others seem to be more popular. (No immediate availability)

LOL you can see online delivery pickers in store when shopping in person there. 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    We prefer to go to the shop as it gives us a reason to go out. The people I go with have both had their vaccines. I have not been offered mine yet but I am not at a high risk if I get the virus. With that in mind, I balance on a virtual scales the benefits to mental health of going out with the very small chance of something bad happening, and mental health wins.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    fluffycat said:
    @woodbine
    Sainsbury’s oddly have plenty of availability (even next day) and £1 for 4 hour window deliver good.

Others seem to be more popular. (No immediate availability)

LOL you can see online delivery pickers in store when shopping in person there. 

I always find sainsbury's expensive, ocado do have some free delivery slots, and we can treat ourselves to m&s food if we feel like coughing up.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ayoung1979
    Ayoung1979 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    I like having both options of shopping online and at store whenever everything opens back up
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Yeah both, deliveries for heavy items like bottled water,  etc, not liking the no bag policy  on deliveries tho. As I struggle bending,  morrisons still using bags by me, because shopping comes from warehouse and not the store,  so they tell me me theve  not been told not to use them. There's no option on line to say with bags, so at the moment I'm getting them free also with morrisons. Also because i don't drive its cost effective, I would pay bus fair to get there and taxi back.

Going to the supermarket I can  get better deals,  also pop in other shops near by, have a coffee etc.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I like home delivery get all my shopping on line  then can have coffee out and have a walk round 
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    I’m not keen on home delivery as some items are use within a few days. I much prefer to select in shop, but I’m still very wary of going to supermarkets. Have chosen online delivery since I was on clinically vulnerable list last year.
  • fluffycat
    @Leigh14

Annoying if can’t get past weekend for use-by dates. (Which Can’t be frozen)

Had milk dated the next day last week. (Driver spotted and refunded)

Often have to shop again for fresh stuff or things not avail in delivery! Though can save dragging home  heavy or bulky things. (Cat litter etc.)

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    We have stuck to delivery on every Monday since starting lockdown. I find it easier than walking all over the huge superstores. My wife insists on going down every isle, just so she doesn't miss anything. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness