Change of circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstances

sammiejj
sammiejj Community member, Scope Member Posts: 5 Connected
Hello all, I’m new here and already having to ask a question I never thought I’d have to ask! My husband of 18 years has decided to leave me. I already have a joint claim of esa income related. The one where you don’t have to seek workout do any activities. When I do the change of circumstances taking him off the claim, will it take me off esa, or anything else I need to be worried about? I’m absolutely petrified it’s all happening so quick as in as soon as possibly next Friday!
please help thank you 

Comments

• sammiejj
    Just to add, he will still be claiming carers allowance for me, for the foreseeable future. Just not living together.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    You will need to inform ESA that you are no longer living together. He will be removed from your claim but it will not end your claim. They will need to be satisfied that you have separated. 

Your ESA will change to a single person claim and the amount will therefore change. Even if he does continue to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you the ESA will no longer include the carer premium but nor will the Carer's Allowance be deducted from the amount you receive.

If you be living alone (no other adults in your home unless they also receive a disability benefit) after he has moved out and he were to stop claiming Carers Allowance you would become entitled to a Severe Disability Premium with your ESA.

If you are claiming housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you should inform your local authority benefits team also.

If you will be the only adult in your home you can ask Council Tax for a single person discount.

Do you have separate finances, if not you need to get these disentangled.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sammiejj
    Thank you, that’s put my mind at ease somewhat. I do have my 25 year old living at home still, as a non dependent dependent or something like that. He’s in receipt of pip but only the mobility element. The finances are fairly easy to separate thankfully. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As a single person your ESA maximum entitlement will be £131.30/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sammiejj

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear of your news, I hope you're coping alright. If you ever want a chat then the community will always be here for you, this is a very supportive place. Take care
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sammiejj
    He’s going to be on a managed move through the housing association, fairly close by to be able to continue his caring role. So it will be his own flat, with his own bills etc and will be claiming uc in his own right. I was more concerned that the change of circumstances would take me off esa as that’s what I’m used to receiving 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.