Overpayments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overpayments

Peter99
Peter99 Community member Posts: 65 Connected
Hi,

@Username_removed Mike, please forgive me for tagging you here. Out of interest, I just want to know the national charities you volunteered for. I need a rep for a forthcoming Tribunal hearing and there is no support in my area. 
Many thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    From Mike's user profile
    I’d also appreciate it if you wouldn’t tag me in for a response

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Peter99
    Mike..
    I enjoy reading your excellent write-ups, if nothing else.  Thanks anyway and have a very nice day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Peter99
    edited May 2021
    Hi Mike. It is not in my nature to mean insult to anyone in particular someone like you who I held in a very highest regard. What I meant was even if you won't assist me directly, I  have learned so much reading your comments to other people.
    Here is the fact of my case: I have a Tribunal hearing coming up soon in regarding an overpayment decision on income-related ESA and I never had any rep. I give all the Glory to GOD for coming across people like yourself on various forums. My argument is that the capital in my name was not accessible to me and I had no control of it during the period of claiming benefits. I was compelled under duress by a drug gang to allow my name to be used to invest the money with a threat to my life if I refused or reported to the authority. I mentioned this briefly at IUC and offered to attend further interview to reveal more information and this is all on recorded Transcript but DWP failed to conduct further interview. I hope you understand this to be a sensitive issue hence my reluctance to divulge. All these happened a few years ago.  My argument is I am entitled to the benefits I had received on the basis of the establishment of 'Trust'.
    Secondly, there is fresh evidence from DWP that their fraud investigators had the knowledge of capital in my account but did nothing for two years and continued paying benefit. Their excuse was they were looking for more money to support their prosecution case.  I was later convicted  for obtaining benefits for the period in which DWP investigators now admitted knowing the capital was in my name but failed to suspend benefits. 
    DWP also admitted that they won't normally disclose the information from fraud investigation to the Tribunal. This caused the previous Tribunal to rule in DWP's favour and failed to notify rights of appeal causing delay. The matter went to UT and the matter was remitted back to be reheard afresh.
    First I am seeking to set aside the previous Tribunal decision on the ground that DWP witheld material evidence from the Tribunal and myself. If that is not possible, to ask the fresh Tribunal to grant permission to appeal to UT.  I need urgent advice. 
    I am emotionally distressed about the whole matter.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Peter99

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through, were the events you describe reported to the police at all? I appreciate you said you were told not to, but I'm just wondering if you've been to the authorities since then. 

Are you safe from those people now?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    If as you say a drug gang compelled you under duress and threatened your life why did you not go to the police? I would assume that's the action the DWP would have expected? ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Peter99
    edited May 2021
    @woodbine
    This happened more than 10 yrs ago. I (or my family) wouldn't be alive typing this if I had reported to the Police. 

@Ross_Scope yes I am safe now that I have repaid the debts.
  • Peter99
    Hi Mike,
    I am just curious you said "nothing further to say" after asking me for such a lengthy submission.  Is there anything I am missing?
  • Peter99
    Mike,
    Thank you for the referral. I will be looking forward to hearing from Scope. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.