Severe disability premium letter received during DLA to PIP changeover, can SDP be backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium letter received during DLA to PIP changeover, can SDP be backdated?

fifejohn88
fifejohn88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi All!

have recently received a letter from DWP saying that due to a change (i assume this is related to my PIP award which i am currently waiting for) i may be entitled to a severe disability premium with my ESA.

i am registered blind and have been for the entirety of my ESA claim and have never been contacted about any premiums, didnt even know they existed. I have read online that unlike a DLA to PIP changeover, SDP can be backdated to when i became entitled to it - can anyone help with what this means? Will this be from the date of my PIP decision? Start of my PIP claim? Or even further back? I have also been in receipt of housing benefit for 3 years and my understanding is i was entitled to a disability premium back then? 

Apologies for the lengthy post, it can be very difficult to find this stuff online.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hi and welcome to scope @fifejohn88
    Useful info from entitledto here:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    What DLA were you getting previously?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • fifejohn88
    calcotti said:
    What DLA were you getting previously?
    I was receiving lower care and higher mobility. BUT i was registered partially sighted when assessed for DLA. BY THE TIME I APPLIED FOR ESA and housing benefit i was registered blind
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    Clearer now.
    Because you only had low rate care DLA you did not qualify for the SDP at that time.

If you are awarded Daily Living PIP you will be entitled to SDP if you live alone and no one claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after you.

The SDP entitlement would start from the date the PIP award commences. Not clear why you have received the SDP letter before you have received a PIP decision.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • fifejohn88
    calcotti said:
    Clearer now.
    Because you only had low rate care DLA you did not qualify for the SDP at that time.

If you are awarded Daily Living PIP you will be entitled to SDP if you live alone and no one claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after you.

The SDP entitlement would start from the date the PIP award commences. Not clear why you have received the SDP letter before you have received a PIP decision.
    Okay thanks thats really helpful, i live alone and no one claims carers for me so should be straightforward enough. I got the letter 28th and was dated 25th so the sda letter seems to have come unusually quick.PIP hopefully be here soon.

do you know much about the disability premium? According to gov website you are entitled to this if registered blind? 
  • calcotti
    fifejohn88 said: ..do you know much about the disability premium? According to gov website you are entitled to this if registered blind? 
    The Disability Premium does not apply to ESA. See
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/what-youll-get

If you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you cannot get the disability premium, but you may still qualify for the severe and enhanced premiums.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.