Hi, my name is Belle81! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Belle81!

Options
Belle81
Belle81 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I have M.E and fibromyalgia as well as other issues. I’ve had them for about nine years and they started after a severe chest infection. I get a couple of chest infections a year now, since the initial one. Up until then, I was hardly ever poorly. I’m only 39 and I feel like a complete failure. I can’t work, due to the symptoms and I really feel like I’m letting my family down. Will this be me for the rest of my life? That’s all I keep thinking. It’s so hard to keep going. ? thank you for listening. X

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @Belle81 and welcome to scope, hope you've enjoyed the warmest day of the year?
    Sorry to hear about your problems, I had to stop working when I was 38 due to becoming disabled, all I can advise is that you take it one day at a time.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too 

It is hard to adjust and it takes time but you will get there 

We are around if you just want a rant lol 

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Belle81 and welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself, and I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling. I became disabled at 22, and it has been challenging to adjust and adapt. The main things that I have learnt from the last 4 years is that it's important to know your body, recognise what triggers symptoms and to pace yourself.

We will do anything we can to help support you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Belle81 and a warm welcome to our online community.  I'm sorry to hear things are difficult at the moment and want to thank you for reaching out to explain how you're feeling.  You're amongst a community of people who completely 'get it'  <3

It's understandable that your mood is being impacted by being ill and out of work, and I wondered if you'd spoken with your GP about this to see what they suggest?  If not, I'd really encourage you to contact them to see what treatment options are available that might help.  

Do you have any interests or hobbies that you enjoy?  Also, do you have a good support network to talk to?  Practicing some self-care during these wobbly times will help you keep relaxed and feeling more positive so perhaps look at MIND's self-care for mental health problems for some ideas.  It goes without saying too that if you ever fancy a virtual bit of company, we are here for you.

I really want to emphasise that in no way are you a failure.  Living with fluctuating conditions is hard and I remember going through a period of long-term unemployment in my 20's wondering the same about my future.  Unfortunately, we can't predict what will happen but looking after yourself, here and now, will keep you in the best, most healthiest mind-set to deal with the highs and lows that life inevitably brings!   <3  You are doing amazing and I'm sure your family are very proud of you.

Thinking some more about work, would you be interested in exploring volunteering?  Scope have a brilliant information page on volunteering that includes ideas on how to find opportunities.  This might be a gentle way of meeting new people and learning new skills while being flexible around your impairment needs.

I hope you are keeping well today and are able to enjoy some of this lovely weather.  Best wishes and speak soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness