Hi, my name is kiki30! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kiki30!

kiki30
kiki30 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello to the community
I'm struggling to cope with my disability and family 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the co.munity 

Sorry to hear you are struggling is there anything we can help you with 
  • Peter12345
    Peter12345 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Hey Kiki, I'm Pete.  How do you do.

Hope you OK right now...  But you've not I promise you will be again..
    Lots of helpful and clever people on this site.  So read others stories etc.. 
    Ask questions..  
    Healing and peaceful vibes from me x
  • kiki30
    Hi I'm a 45 year old woman and I'm being treated like a child I'm doing everything to please everyone and I'm having no life of my own 
    I feel answerable to family telling them when I'm going out and when I get back it's driving me crazy 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kiki30 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read this; it sounds like you're being dominated by your partner/spouse, or others in your family, which is a horrible feeling. Do you have a member of your family or a friend that you can confide in?
  • kiki30
    I've been talking to a friend today 
    I don't have a partner my family think I'm better off on my own so I haven't met anyone but I live in my own and I get lonely everyone in my family is married with a family but I'm small so I'm seen as a child I don't know how many times I have to tell the I'm 45 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    It's good you have a friend to talk to. Your family thinking you're better off on your own, whilst maybe feeling they have your best wishes at heart, should not influence what you wish & hope for. I'm sorry your family are not respecting you as an adult; perhaps you should try to discuss this with them. My apologies for misreading your situation, but do what you wish; you owe no-one an explanation. :)
  • kiki30
    Thank you for your understanding posts I feel better getting it out how I feel
    you have been a good listener 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @kiki30 :) Thanks for joining, and for sharing a bit about your situation. I'm glad that you've found chiarieds to be a good listener, and that's it's helped to get things off your chest a bit.

I can imagine that having to tell your family when you're going out and coming back could feel quite suffocating, especially as you live on your own. I agree that speaking to them about it could be the best course of action, if you feel safe doing so. Have you explained clearly how it makes you feel? Have you asked them why they do this?  Is it that they're worried about you for some reason?

You also mentioned that you were "doing everything to please everyone"- are there other things you're being made to do that you don't want to do?

Do you have much independence? You mentioned not feeling as though you can have a life of your own, which I appreciate must be difficult.

You also mentioned that you were struggling to cope with being disabled. Do you mind me asking which impairments or conditions you have? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness