Can I claim Severe Disability Premium as I now live on my own? How would I go about claiming it? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim Severe Disability Premium as I now live on my own? How would I go about claiming it?

Options
sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
In 2014 i was awarded both the enhanced elements for PIP and also ESA.  The beginning of March this year, my son, who was my main carer left home and although he doesn’t now live with me, he still does the majority of my care which is voluntary. I have been informed today that I could claim Severe Disability Premium as I now live on my own? Does anyone know if this is true and if so, how would I go about trying to claim it? TIA
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    If your ESA is income based and provided your son is not claiming Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of UC you are entitled to the SDP in your ESA. To get it all you need to do is ring ESA and they will check your circumstances with you. If you are entitled they will add it to your award. It can be backdated to the date your son moved out.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sheZZa
    Options
     I’ve never claimed carer’s allowance and his income has never been taken into account since I was first awarded ESA and housing benefit. I will start the ball rolling thank you.
  • calcotti
    Options
    sheZZa said:
     I’ve never claimed carer’s allowance 
    It would not be you claiming Carer’s Allowance, it would be him.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @calcotti
    oh right! I thought it would have been me. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    sheZZa said:
    @calcotti
    oh right! I thought it would have been me. 
    Carer’s Allowance is a benefit that can be claimed by people who are carers. If anyone claims CA, or the carer element of UC, for looking after you then you are not eligible for SDP. 
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @calcotti
    i have several members of my family who care for me so it will be easier to claim SDP. Thanks for the info.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.