Do you Forage for food? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you Forage for food?

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
Walking past loads of cherry trees in parks, thought-up discussion. (though hesitant to pick as never know if food, or ornamental cherries)

Though, do love blackberry picking when ripe and along parks etc. They have loads of brambles (normally juiciest are at arms length!) Can be a couple varieties too.

Use to love picking mushrooms (though have to be careful) and Russet apples. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I went strawberry picking a few times as a kid :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    I used to love scrumping fruit when I was a boy, danger and free juicy fruit, what could be better! ? ? ? ? ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    There is nothing better than foraged food!
    We live in a village and one afternoon on a long walk we found a huge walnut tree  (only after living here for 23 years! ?) We took home two carrier bags full. After peeling and drying them out we froze most of them, we ate them throughout the following months with cheese and I made quite a few coffee and walnut cakes.. I can honestly say I enjoyed every mouthful! There is something really satisfying about finding (or growing) your own food.. ?
  • [Deleted User]
  • Luna51
    Hello @bekindalways
    It's a magnificent walnut tree too, next time we walk there I'll take a picture of it.. I think we were just lucky that year as it yeilded a big crop of walnuts, but hardly anything last year...
    I also have a little cherry tree in my garden that we planted last year, think we'll all be fighting over those when it bears fruit.. ?
  • [Deleted User]
  • Luna51
    Hello again @bekindalways

Yes our garden - cherries are one of my favourite fruits too! I will share with everyone but like you, it'll be the bare minimum! Ha! ?

My Grandma had several apple trees of different varieties, my girls loved to pick them when they were little, I have some very happy memories (and photographs) of them all in her beautiful garden.. 
    As I recall, I think it takes a few years for apple trees to yield so fingers crossed for a bumper crop for you! 

Take care too..
    I shall think of you when those cherries eventually come in.. ? xx

Brightness