Offered interview but haven't told them about my chronic pain.. how do I tell them? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Offered interview but haven't told them about my chronic pain.. how do I tell them?

Options
Marie88
Marie88 Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
I applied for a part time retail job for 16 hrs a week. I probably shouldn't have as I've worked retail jobs in the past that caused pain flare ups and fatigue. But I was so stressed last night about being unemployed that I applied for it. Afterwards I was hoping they wouldn't contact me but they emailed me today inviting me for an interview. They dont know about my chronic pain because I didnt mention it on my cv but I feel pretty guilty for applying as they seem pretty desperate for staff.

Maybe I should email them saying I feel I need to be honest with them and that I suffer from chronic pain and find physical work challenging, and if they dont think I'm right for the position I will withdraw my application? Do you think something along those lines would sound ok? Or would it be better to go to the interview and say it then? Or maybe I should just tell them I found abother job. I'm not really sure how to go about it and just need a bit of advice?

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    It’s actually not too late to declare a health condition and whether you feel that reasonable adjustments might be required. 

However I will say, if the job is physically demanding, I’m not sure how they can adjust that role to be fair as that’s what the role requires, so they may refuse the adjustments which they can do because they can justify why. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Marie88 :) Yes, you can ask for reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process or even whilst you're working, so it's not too late.

If you feel comfortable doing so, it could be worth doing the interview and talking it through with them? It could even be that they have another role that might be more suitable for you.

If not, you don't need to feel guilty about withdrawing your application. It's common for people to withdraw job applications for a variety of reasons. You don't need to lie or over-explain, just thank them for their time, and explain that you'd no longer like to be considered for the job. 

Congratulations for getting an interview though :) Your application was clearly good. 

Have we ever pointed you towards our employment services? They might be able to help, if you're feeling stressed about not having a job right now. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness