LCWRA and carer help please really confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and carer help please really confused

amyflood245
amyflood245 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
So I already claim pip but my condition has gotten to the point where my husband is caring for me for 35 hours per week even though he works full time so we have recorded him as being my carer on universal credit, will he still receive the carer element even though he works full time? 

Also I have started handing sick notes in to universal credit, how many sick notes do I have to hand in before they assess me for LCWRA and will we receive the extra money from it even though my partner works full time? 

Are they still awarding the LCW element or is only the LCWRA that they award now? 

Thank you 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

I'm not 100% sure about the carers element 

But lcwra your work coach should refer you for work capability after fit note covering 28 days or more 

They do still have lcw group but there is no additional payment for this only lcwra pays any extra payment 

Others will know about the carers element as I know there is earning limit but don't know if that's for uc or esa 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    ..will he still receive the carer element even though he works full time? 
    Yes.
    ...they assess me for LCWRA and will we receive the extra money from it even though my partner works full time? 
    Yes you would. You get LCWRA element (if found to have LCWRA) and carer element is included for him. Moreover if you have LCW or LCWRA your claim will have a Work Allowance applied which means some of his earnings will be ignored (you will already have this if there are any children on the claim).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • amyflood245
    Thank you both so much for replying I’m getting so stressed about all of this and my anxiety is through the roof it’s constantly on my mind trying to make sure I do everything right! so I will still get the LCWRA payment even though he earns a full time wage? We already get the work allowance because we have a child will we get an additional work allowance if awarded with LCW or LCWRA? also why do you have to wait 3 months to get it? 

Thank you 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    ...so I will still get the LCWRA payment even though he earns a full time wage? We already get the work allowance because we have a child will we get an additional work allowance if awarded with LCW or LCWRA? also why do you have to wait 3 months to get it? 
    To be clear - the LCWRA element and the carer element increase your maximum UC entitlement. What you actually receive depends on whether you have other income and/or savings over £6000. So the earnings do reduce the amount of UC - just as they do at the moment. Some people could be entitled to have LCWRA included in the calculation but receive only a small amount or even no UC if their earnings deduction cancels it out. In your case if you currently get paid UC then the LCWRA and carer elements will increase the amount you receive. 

No you will not get an extra Work Allowance. Only one WA can be applied to a UC claim.

You have to wait three months from reporting your health condition because that is what the law says. It reflects the same rules as ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • amyflood245
    Thank you for your reply, so is 3 months from the date you hand your first sick note in or 3 months from the date you have your assessment? 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    Thank you for your reply, so is 3 months from the date you hand your first sick note in or 3 months from the date you have your assessment? 
    3 months from the date you hand your first sick note in as per previous reply
    calcotti said: You have to wait three months from reporting your health condition because that is what the law says. It reflects the same rules as ESA.

• amyflood245
    Sorry just one more question with my partner claiming the carer element on universal credit does emotional support count, like sitting with me because I’m anxious and don’t want to be alone, getting up with me in the night because I can’t sleep, coming home from work in the day to take me to my mums so I’m not on my own. Do things like that count towards caring? 
  • calcotti
    To the best of my knowledge, it’s not precisely defined but seems reasonable to count all of those.
  • amyflood245
    Ok brill thank you for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.