My sister is off work with neck pain and carpel tunnel on her hand. Could she claim PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My sister is off work with neck pain and carpel tunnel on her hand. Could she claim PIP?

suzyk15
suzyk15 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi looking for some advice please.
My sister is off work at the moment with a bad neck also had carpel tunnel op on hand, shes had xrays, physio on neck and  on strong painkillers for her neck shes in a lot of pain ,its her 8th week off work ,work pay her full pay for 10weeks then its ssp till shes well enough to go back ,could she claim pip please ? 
Many thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

To claim pip she needs to have had the condition for 3 months or more and for it to last at least another 9 months 

Also pip is about someone's ability to carry out daily tasks like cooking , dressing , bathing,  toileting,  communication,  finances , and mobility to name a few 

I suggest sheooks at the descriptors first to see 8f she would score any points 

You can find info in our pip section 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    suzyk15 said:
    Hi looking for some advice please.
    My sister is off work at the moment with a bad neck also had carpel tunnel op on hand, shes had xrays, physio on neck and  on strong painkillers for her neck shes in a lot of pain ,its her 8th week off work ,work pay her full pay for 10weeks then its ssp till shes well enough to go back ,could she claim pip please ? 
    Many thanks
    She can use a benefit calculator to check whether she would have any entitlement to Universal Credit. It will depend on her household circumstances.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • suzyk15
    I need advice about claiming pip if im on sick from work ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @suzyk15 You can claim PIP irrespective of your working status so your sister would be fine to start a claim now if she met the the government's PIP eligibility:
    You must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age to claim.
    You must also have a physical or mental health condition or disability where you:
    • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
    • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months
    You usually need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in an EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

There are different rules if you’re terminally ill and a healthcare professional has said you might have less than 6 months to live.

You cannot get PIP and Armed Forces Independence Payment at the same time.

As mentioned, PIP is based on how a person's impairment(s) impact their ability to carry out specific activities.  So, please check that your sister's impairments affect the activities outlined, as for both components she would require 8 to 11 points to be awarded the standard rate and 12 points or more to receive the enhanced rate.  

If you have any more questions, please let us know.  Good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • suzyk15
    Will she be able to make a claim as shes on pay from work at the moment, when she reaches her 10th week on sick from work which she gets full pay  she be then be getting ssp .will she be able to claim pip while on ssp?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You can claim pip and still be working or be paid for work it isn't a means tested benefit 
  • suzyk15
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP has nothing to do with work.
    When SSP ends she may be able to claim new style ESA.
    As already advised she may be entitled to some Universal Credit depending on her household circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.