Pip refused- how can they justify their assessors? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip refused- how can they justify their assessors?

ffee
ffee Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all 

I applied for pip end Oct 2020 finally got assessment call 7th May all evidence received text on 11th May today I called to request copy of report to be told decision letter sent 25th May I’ve received no letter lady said she would resend today ! I was then asked to follow steps in letter should I wish to dispute asked what award had I been given if I’ve to rise dispute ???   0 points on all !! 
I’m in complete shock lady read some of the report to me utter lies never said any of it !! 

I suffer from fybromyalgia my “flare ups “ have become daily I rely on my kids to help bathe me I can’t hold a pen to write longer than 30 mins , my kids make meals as I can’t hold pots, plates chop anything , I have extreme thoughts of just cutting my hands off to release the pressure of pain ..... I’m no longer living in just existing in agony 

How can they justify there assessors ???? 

Comments

• mollypeppa
    mollypeppa Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Can I ask, do you use any aids and did you send support evidence?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Once you have the decision letter you can request a Mandatory Reconsideration
    https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

review all of your evidence to make sure it addresses the PIP descriptors
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ffee
    Hi , 

I only have a double banister nothing else if I can’t  manage stairs then I have few hours sleep on sofa which is more often that not lately , 

I had no evidence to send , woman I spoke to today said I could have my my daughter write a supporting letter stating everything she has to do for me including washing , 

my doctor just gives me prescriptions which have little effect , no other interest from them I had been misdiagnosed 20 years ago with onset arthritis which turned out to be fybromyalgia all long. 
  • mollypeppa
    Evidence is key to a pip claim, and when answering questions explain everything in detail, my wife has just done my review and sent it off , can you try to get an occupational therapist ? Get your GP to refer you, also, 
  • ffee
    I called doctors surgery after dwp came off phone this afternoon I’ve to call back Monday morning to try speak with doctor, 
    Ive been offered nothing from my doctor except tramadol and narproxen , an left to get on with it . 

• mollypeppa
    I had the same problem, told to get on with it, arthritis in both hips, you need x-rays, occupational therapist, aids provided for you by them, if you buy them yourself dwp could argue you use them out of nessecity than need, get your GP to refer you to physio, ot, demand it, keep every letter, report, 

I only just had pain management appt, but all evidence was sent in, 

Is it just fibromyalgia you have? It is hard to diagnose, and you've been left to get on with it? What a sham that is. Can I also ask did someone else fill your pip form out for you? And do you use any walking aids.
  • ffee
    I suffered anxiety and depression  which I’ve always to cover apart from one midwife 24 years ago who seen right through my everything is fine face , 
    however now that is also escalating which in turn is affecting my fibromyalgia, 

I got an extension for filling in pip form as I can’t physically hold a pen more than 30/40 mins at a time. 

I don’t use any walking aids I drag or limp everywhere I go 

every joint in my body is effected daily I’ve not had a pain free day in at least 3 years now 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ffee :) I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the PIP result that you were hoping for. 

As the others have said, it'd be worth putting in a mandatory reconsideration (MR) if you feel able to. It's better to concentrate on getting some good evidence together rather than focusing on what the assessor might have written, even though I'm sure reading it must have been upsetting.

Please do take a look through the descriptors that calcotti has linked again. It's important that you look at the 'additional notes' at the bottom too, which will help you to understand what terms like reliably, safely, and in a timely manner etc. mean. Please do give them a read and let us know if you have any further questions.

I'm sorry that you're in so much pain, and that you're struggling with your mental health as well. Would you consider seeking any support for your mental health? It's nothing to be ashamed about, and it can be good to get things off your chest. Have you tried any other pain management strategies to try and get the pain under control?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • mollypeppa
    First thing Monday morning get onto your doctor, and when you say, you walk with a limp, pain ect when outside or indoors, you'd be a risk of falling ect, and as Tori said about mental health, nothing to be ashamed of, at all, I mean that, I'm not a benefit advisor or anything but you've got to be one step ahead.

Just a thought, are you able to access your medical records at all? You have to sign up with your surgery, Paitient on-line access, there's NHS app too, that will show you any documents and medication which can be used for evidence.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.