Hi, I'm Megjustin123! Looking for some advice on my current situation — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Megjustin123! Looking for some advice on my current situation

Options
Megjustin123
Megjustin123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on my current situation. So I am currently recieving higher care of  PIP and LCWRA. I have been offered a job at asda for 2 days a week  at 16 hours per week. My disability needs haven't changed and the fact is asda is just 5 minutes walk from my house hence why I am wanting to get a part time job close to home. My partner does care for me, but the reason I've been wanting to get a part time job is due to wanting to gain some confidence, although I can only do part time and not many hours due to my needs I still want to work, its also to try help my mental health. I'm just looking for advice to whether I'd lose pip and LCWRA as I am not sure on the situation on this although I do know you can have any kind of job at any pay and still get PIP. I'd also like to add I'm on pip for mental health. Bipolar and severe depression and anxiety and I take 200mg daily Sertraline and 50mg of clonazapam daily and ongoing. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thankyou x
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome 

Working has no affect on pip as you say no matter what you claim it for 

You can work while getting lcwra for 16 hours or less it is called permitted work and there is a work allowance amount you are able to earn which I can't find at the moment 

Just bear in mind working could prompt a new review and any work shouldn't contradict the reasons you are getting any disability benefits 

Good luck in your new job 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Megjustin123 and a very warm welcome to the community, how are you getting along?

Congratulations on being offered the job, that sounds great. I hope the above advice has helped. Regarding your work allowance, which is the amount you would be able to earn before your UC is impacted, you can find out more information about what that would be here, it depends on a few factors which you will see in the useful table.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    janer1967 said: You can work while getting lcwra for 16 hours or less it is called permitted work and there is a work allowance amount you are able to earn which I can't find at the moment 
    This is not correct. Janer is referring to 'permitted work' rules for ESA. These are not relevant to UC and UC has no such limits. Once a claimant has LCWRA they can do as many hours of work as they wish and earn whatever they earn. The earnings are simply taken into account in the normal way.

Incidentally for ESA the rule is not 16 hours or less, it is less than 16 hours - so 16 hours of work would breach the rules.

However, as janer says, claimant needs to be aware that if the work undertaken contradicts the reasons they have been found to have LCWRA that might prompt a reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.