Work aren’t very supportive — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work aren’t very supportive

Options
holly29
holly29 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone,

I have a 5year old daughter who has asd, life is very challenging and i feel extremely depressed. I’m currently on anti-depressants and ant-anxiety tablets and I’m still really struggling. I have scoliosis myself... I’m really struggling to find a balance between work, being a mum, caring for my daughter, my eldest daughter is also struggling and has been referred for counselling at school- she’s only 9,  whilst also myself Being in pain. 

Most nightS I’m late out of work- last week was every night, I work in retail. On Friday, it was already 10 minutes past my shift and I asked if I could leave as I had to pick my children up. I explained that my daughter with autism struggles with routine change and likes everything done in a certain way, otherwise it makes her extremely distressed. Every evening it’s a struggle to get her home from my parents who look after her when I’m at work. She’ll have a massive melt down as she finds the transition really hard. I was spoken to horribly by my manager who patronised me in front of work colleagues... when I tried to get a word in she just stuck her hand up at me saying “we’ll talk About it Monday” over and over again to me. My floor manager was stood behind her, and was nodding and agreeing with me but the deputy manager was awful to me. This is the same manager that when I was on the front door counting in customers said that me needing a seat because of my scoliosis because I was in pain was unprofessional. 

Can I just add they’ll keep us for a certain length of time then we’ll clock out and then stand by the front door for sometimes another 25 minutes to be let out as they lock the door.. whilst they are sat in the office. 

I’ve phoned my union and are awaiting their call back however I feel sick at the thought of going into work today, my doctor has agreed to sign me off with stress/ depression and anxiety however, I’m worried they’ll think I’ve just not come in to avoid the issue that happened on Friday. My depression is at the point where most days I don’t see the point anymore. 

I claim dla for my daughter middle rate care and low rate mobility, and have been told to look into Carers allowance. Work won’t let me drop another day as at the moment I earn over the limit. I’m finding everything very hard. 

Long story short, I’m so worried about going in today as they aren’t supportive whatsoever 

thankyou in advance 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear about your situation 

I thought you had been signed off work so there will be no need to go in today? 

It may be worth taking some time to remove yourself from the situation till you are ready to deal with it 

It may be silly question and forgive me buf do you need to work and put yourself through all this , I know from financial point you may not have a choice but for your health and support for your children it may be worth looking into the alternatives 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @holly29 :) I'm also really sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I sent you an email a little bit earlier from community@scope.org.uk, so please do take a look when you get a bit of time. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness