Son is considering moving in with me. What benefits would he be able to keep? Anything to consider? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son is considering moving in with me. What benefits would he be able to keep? Anything to consider?

wrinkly65
wrinkly65 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
Hi my son is seriously considering moving into my house from his flat. He gets pip (care and mobility), esa income related , severe disability premium. Also housing benefit which he would no longer get .  Finding it hard to decipher what he would keep or would have to do on claims.  He is awaiting verdict on fit to work assessment, his job is still open but 80 miles from my home. Anything has to consider etc?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    PIP would be unchanged.
    ESA would continue but without the SDP (unless you and any other adults in the house also get disability benefits).
    Do you receive any benefits yourself?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wrinkly65
    On state pension with guaranteed pension credit and council tax benefit.  I am elderly with fibromyalgia and hearing impaired but do not claim any disability benefits as i find income adequate and cope with help from family and friends if needed as  I have all day to muddle through difficulties. Wondered if the fact that i would only be providing accomodation and managing bills basically meant he might keep his sdp as anything i looked at said if with parents complicated.

• wrinkly65
    Sorry just seen you said disability premiums
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wrinkly65 - as calcotti says, your son would lose his Severe Disability Premium unless you were also receiving a similar qualifying benefit (which you don't). So, something your son needs to be aware about. Please see the following for confirmation about what calcotti said: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    If you currently get single person discount on your Council Tax you will need to inform the local authority when he moves in and you will lose the discount - but your Council Tax Reduction should still cover the increased bill.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.