Hi, I'm Alisonmilly! Just moved and need help getting household items. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Alisonmilly! Just moved and need help getting household items.

Alisonmilly
Alisonmilly Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I just move in to a houseing  association flat with my 14 year old daughter we have nothing I would like a double bed for my self and gas cooker we have got a bed for my daughter but no carpet no very little way of just normal stuff be great to get bed for  my self as floor is so hard unfortunately I have bad back so req a firm bed gas cooker and Wasing machine if possible pots and pans I have very just benfits but am hopping to start new job but this only part time hope some can help alison 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Hope you are happy in your new home 

I suggest you try and see if there are any local charities that can help 

Try sed if council know of any that offer help with goods 

Try gumtree and Facebook selling pages as sometimes people gift items 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Hi @Alisonmilly and a warm welcome to our online community.  Congrats on the new house, I hope you're settling in ok.

There's a few things you could look at to help with furnishing your home:
    • Many social housing providers supply furniture packages to tenants who need it.  If you live in social housing, give them a call to enquire.  
    • Some councils have a Local Welfare Assistance Scheme for low-income families.  Contact your local council to see if they have anything like this.
    • Dependent on what benefits you're on and for how long, you could apply for a budgeting loan or budgeting advance (if on Universal Credit).  Although bear in mind - any money you get will have to be repaid gradually from your future benefits.  
    • Use Scope's Grants Checker tool to see if you could apply for a grant towards costs.  
    • Check the Re-use network website to find pre-loved furniture near to you.  
    I hope this helps and best wishes to you and your daughter.  Please let us know how you get on  :)

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our 'Housing and independent living' category to help others in the same position who might look.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @Alisonmilly

A very warm welcome.

Can I suggest you try Shelter on their free helpline tel: 0808 800 4444. For your information, we have just moved house and donated a number of household items to Shelter.

They check the items are safe to use and then pass them on to the most needy.

As you have no furniture, you should be on top of the list.

Let us know how you get on with Shelter, as there might be other avenues for you to pursue.

Best wishes
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    "freecycle" can also turn up some decent stuff for free
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness