Are you wanting to do more gardening? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you wanting to do more gardening?

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge

The sunny weather has been spoiling us lately, sending both our flowers... and weeds into overdrive.  But do you ever look out at your garden, want to make a start and not know where to begin?  Maybe we can help.

Close-up of someone holding a plant by the roots with someone smiling in the background

The team at Thrive, a gardening for health charity, have been in touch and shared some of their wonderful resources with us and our members.  From practical tips about equipment and tools to insight into why gardening is good for wellbeing, let their information both interest you and inspire!

Thrive's handy resources for disabled gardeners

• Thrive’s ‘Carry on gardening’ website has top tips for disabled gardeners with specific sections designed to help green-fingered folk who have had a stroke, heart-disease, sight loss or have other impairments. 
  • Thrive’s Gardening Club newsletter is designed to make gardening accessible and enjoyable for everyone, with easy to follow, simple step-by-step instructions and pictures that will guide you through any gardening activity, even if it’s your first time picking up a fork, spade or trowel!
  • Take part in a 28 day challenge and get to grips with mother nature whilst benefitting your emotions and mood. 
  • Acquire some horticultural know-how by taking part in Thrive’s free online course 'Cultivating Wellbeing in Gardens and Nature' where you can learn the science behind why gardens and nature improves wellbeing.

How's your garden faring?

In January, I asked 'How does your garden grow?' and you lovely lot told us about your plants and sent in some photos.

Now we have hit the hazy heights of June (where's this year gone?!), I'd love to know how your buds are blooming or what plant-based pains you're trying to fend off.  Leave us your comments, pics and flower-based frettings below, and we'll channel Alan Titchmarsh to help you out.  
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As far as gardening is concerned I’m try to cut down. ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a lovely day out on Saturday, as my son & daughter-in-law took me to a plant sale in our local market town. After bringing our plants to my house, we then went onto a garden centre in another town. What surprises me is that they're eventually turning into gardeners. Now just so long as they remember to water their plants! :)
    Question: How do I make sure that I get more lettuce than (my) slugs? I'm reluctant to use slug pellets as their likely not too good for my cat.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hate gardening would have it all paved if it was my choice 
  • leeCal
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @chiarieds you could try a beer trap, sink a cup into the ground so the top is level with the ground and then fill with some brown ale or similar. They go for the beer and drown basically. 
    Or
    try transplanting your lettuce into hanging baskets, that’ll fool them. 

They are the only two two things I know work, apart from slug pellets which I too don’t use.

Good luck. 

Oh I just remembered another solution. Buy large plastic containers, fill with compost to the desired level and pop in your lettuce. At night place the plastic lid on, take it off during the daytime. Or just place the containers over the lettuce at night, whichever is easier. You’ll need to check the lettuce for small slugs hiding before securing them. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @leeCal - I remember hearing about beer traps (tho what if my cat drinks it?), but really like your idea of hanging baskets....absolutely brilliant. :)
  • leeCal
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @chiarieds I think you can buy the beer trap and the have a cap on top with small holes in, that would prevent shadow from downing a pint! ?

the beer trap trap is a diversion however and may not attract all the slugs or snails.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• steveo928
    steveo928 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    I’ve always disliked gardening but recently found it enjoyable. We’re growing some tomato plants which seem to be doing well, they need repotting so that’ll be a job this week ohh and we planted some sunflowers that my mums boyfriend gave us, looking forward to seeing them bloom. 

I’m clearing the bottom bit of the garden and will do a curved flowerbed. I’m deciding what to plant, I was thinking maybe a miniature wildflower bed? Idk. 

In spring we had some hyacinths and bluebells spring up that we planted last year, was pleased ☺️

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @steveo928 This is the first year in a while I've not planted tomato plants or sunflowers!  I'll live vicariously through yours instead  :)  You can't beat just wandering into the garden on a warm day to a grab a fresh tomato for a salad.

I'm looking for a plant to remember my cat Frank by.  He used to sit in our rockery in the sunshine all the time so I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice tribute  <3  

@leeCal @chiarieds Your exchange has given me the mental image of a slightly inebriated cat  :D  (something we clearly would not advocate!)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,594 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Like a lot of things I find gardening hard while living with others but if I ever get my own property it’s something I would really like to do and am looking forward to doing. It seems like it could be really relaxing and good for your mental health.  :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,855 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I want to do less, tried 2 gardeners who promised weeding was all in, then they just mow the lawns, hopeless. I find it difficult to weed 
  • denise787
    denise787 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I have found gardening more enjoyable, since my illness maybe because I spend more time at home now. Debbie

Brightness