need help for pain but doctors say take more painkillers not the answer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

need help for pain but doctors say take more painkillers not the answer

Options
wheelydave
wheelydave Community member Posts: 10 Listener
i have very painful spasms and cramps at top of right leg stopping me from doing some of my daily routines painkillers all the time only ease pain for a short while i have had this since march no fun

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @wheelydave

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

Has your GP not explored other forms of pain management with you? Such as a pain clinic for example?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear about your leg maybe pain killers are not the answer it could be down to something else which your gp should be looking into after having it for a while now 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @wheelydave :) I'm sorry to hear that your pain isn't being managed very well at the moment. Have you shared your concerns about taking the painkillers with your doctor? They might be able to suggest some other pain management options for you, such as physiotherapy, or do some further investigation into what's causing your pain. Have you been told what might be causing it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • wheelydave
    edited June 2021
    Options
    the only answer i get is it's muscular i have had a ct scan and they said there is no underlying problem it's muscular i want to know how much longer is it going to last it's 3 months now it's smaking my day very difficult i have an ot coming to see me today dont know what she can co i did ask for a physiotherapist but an ot is coming this pain is worrying methe doctor did say it would eventually go away i wish i knew when.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Sorry I didn't catch this earlier @wheelydave. How did the OT visit go? 

• wheelydave
    Options
  • Philonline
    Philonline Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    Hope your problem is getting better Dave, I have the total opposite problem, I have been on one of the strongest pain medications for years and now its not working as good any more, I dont think the nasty side affects make it worth taking so have asked to be weened off it (it will give me withdrawal problems) and try pain management instead, this idea is not going down too well with my new doctors since I have recently moved house, strange how my old doctor was the one to suggest this path.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Do you mean they weren't able to suggest much @wheelydave? Do you know what might come out of it? 

• wheelydave
    Options
    my problem is just getting worse the pain at times is unbearable it looks like i have to wait and see if it will go away soon i hope thank god for painkillers they do help a bit doctors say i have the strongest i can get but when i go to the toilet it gets worse i'm in so much pain the rest of the day i hope i dont need to go today dont know what the answer is
  • wheelydave
    edited June 2021
    Options
    is  anyone suffering from very soar spasms and cramps in one leg from waist down the thigh not much help from doctors.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wheelydave

I've merged your threads together so we can keep all help and replies in this spot for you :)

I'm sorry you're experiencing pain still.  When you say it gets worse when you go to the toilet, is that from mobilising there?  It's reassuring that the CT scan didn't show anything underlying going off, but I appreciate that doesn't help in the here and now.  Chronic pain can really take its toll, both emotionally and physically.  How's your mood?

This NHS webpage has some tips on gentle exercise to soothe leg cramps but I'd recommend speaking with your doctor again, or asking for a second opinion if you feel unhappy with their input so far.

I hope you feel some relief soon.  Please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness