Just what is going on with ESA these days? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just what is going on with ESA these days?

LeeA380
LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
I have been claiming ESA due to an accident at work since mid july 2020. 
Of course, next month is the "end" of my claim.

I am awaiting a telephone assessment to see if this can be extended or whatever (I phoned them today and the guy told me a call was planned from around August 2020, yet no-one has bothered to ring me).

I also learned that rather than ESA continuing into the next 12 month period until assessment, it actually gets suspended immediately.

How is this my fault? I know I am not the only one in this predicament!
Covid or no covid is not hard to arrange a telephone interview! I am now thinking that DWP are using the pandemic as an excuse.

So what can I do next? Apply for UC? What if I don't get it? Live on the streets?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are eligible apply for UC. You can receive UC at the same time as ESA anyway (depending on your financial circumstances). Obviously you may not be due any payment, particularly if you have a working partner. You can use a benefits calculator to check.

Government have been lobbied to extend the 12 month limit on ESA for those waiting for assessments but all such lobbying has fallen on deaf ears.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • LeeA380
    calcotti said:
    If you are eligible apply for UC. You can receive UC at the same time as ESA anyway (depending on your financial circumstances). Obviously you may not be due any payment, particularly if you have a working partner. You can use a benefits calculator to check.

Government have been lobbied to extend the 12 month limit on ESA for those waiting for assessments but all such lobbying has fallen on deaf ears.
    Hi Calcotti.

I used a benefits calculator and it told me I could get £411 per month but minus £323 unearned income (i,e. ESA benefits that I am on?), which would leave me with around £80 per month?

Surely I am not expected to live on £3 per day?
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    LeeA380 said:
    calcotti said:

Hi Calcotti.

I used a benefits calculator and it told me I could get £411 per month but minus £323 unearned income (i,e. ESA benefits that I am on?), which would leave me with around £80 per month?

Surely I am not expected to live on £3 per day?
    You wouldn't be because you'd be getting the ESA too. If the ESA has stopped you'd be getting the full UC of £411.
    UC is, of course, set to fall by £87/month in October when the COVID uplift is removed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    It's ludicrous isn't it. 
    Back in january 
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-has-no-plans-to-extend-time-limit-for-payment-of-contributory-esa-where-claimants-have-reached-365-day-limit-but-not-had-work-capability-assessment
    And the underlying reason is obvious - Fewer than 40,000 ESA WCAs were completed in the quarter to September 2020, down from 170,000 a year earlier, according to DWP statistics.
    I hate the way official response to a question/challenge is to say we are doing xyz when xyz doesn't directly address the problem raised. 

• LeeA380
    Surely if I click submit on my online UC claim, then my existing benefits will be stopped (apart from 2 weeks grace)? So I wouldn't be getting any benefits at all if my claim failed with UC.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    LeeA380 said:
    Surely if I click submit on my online UC claim, then my existing benefits will be stopped (apart from 2 weeks grace)? So I wouldn't be getting any benefits at all if my claim failed with UC.
    That is broadly correct which is why it is important for people to check their UC entitlement by using a calculator before claiming. However the benefits that stop are only income based benefits such as Tax Credits, Income support, income based JSA or income based ESA and Housing benefit. New style ESA which you are claiming is not means tested and is not affected if you claim UC (but, as explained, the ESA you receive does reduce the UC payable).
    Are you claiming any benefits besides new style ESA?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.