I applied for PIP, and got a text saying I have to speak to them on the 22nd. Is it an interview? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I applied for PIP, and got a text saying I have to speak to them on the 22nd. Is it an interview?

Options
Charchar
Charchar Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
have just read the stream.
i applied for Pip, three weeks later get the standard txt about let them know if anything changes.
Then today, I get a txt saying I have to speak to them on the 22nd at 11am as written in letter ( I haven’t received a letter) stating this could affect my benefits if I don’t speak with them. So is this an interview? Or does it mean based on everything they have made a decision but want to ask me a few questions?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

This isn't the normal text you get for a pip assessment as far as I know they normally send it by letter and don't say they want to speak to you but that your assessment has been arranged 

Maybe you should give them a call 

Do you claim any other benefits it could be related to as pip doesn't affect other benefits so doubt they would say it could affect your benefits by not speaking to them 

Sounds more like a compliance interview for uc or esa 

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong 

Hope other members can help 
  • craftyarts
    craftyarts Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    If you have any query it is always best to telephone them and check out the situation. 
    I was led to believe that because of the pandemic there are no face to face assessments going on at this moment in time but there are telephone assessments where you get the opportunity to tell them more about your disability. They have set questions and you need to answer them truthfully and say if anything has altered . 
    I would suggest you make a diary now so you can state facts for example on Wednesday the ...I could not leave the house due to my breathlessness and this has been a increasing pattern for my COPD . The same applies to chronic pain or for your mobility they will ask how far you can walk . 
    Can I stress please state your worst day as this is not a martyrs situation , none of us like to admit how bad we are or all of the things that now become a issue . If you say oh I can do this that and the other you will be down graded . 
    The way you answer your. Questions needs to be the same as you replied on your application unless your condition has deteriorated. 
    Mention if you need a advocate with you for support . Unfortunately sometimes my brain is so foggy I can’t think and it is useful to have a advocate this in no way makes you look stupid . It is helpful as they can prompt you when you have missed something out or actually talk on your behalf if maybe you are breathless .
    unfortunately we all have to go through this process but it is well worth it .
    Stress is also part of the assessment now and is considered for PIP .
    Also benefits are paid from the date you applied or if my memory serves me well 6 months before your claim if you had the condition that you are claiming for once that has been processed there is a set period of time you will be informed of the decision, and if you disagree with this decision you can appeal and once again have a advocate with you , this can be family, friend or their are advocacy groups in area which can come with you to a tribunal . Citizens advice are always a good place to tap in for networking.
    It is much better if you can get someone to help you fill out these forms as they know the key words the benefits agency is looking for . Even I do that as it gives more clout to your application! 
    I forgot to say the benefit will be paid from the day you were entitled to it .
    I hope that you have found this helpful ?! 
    I wish you every success in your application and anyone else who finds themselves in the same position.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    craftyarts said:..I was led to believe that because of the pandemic there are no face to face assessments going on at this moment in time 
    They are back. See
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/face-to-face-assessments-to-resume-for-health-and-disability-benefits
    Can I stress please state your worst day as this is not a martyrs situation , 
    Decisions are based on how you are on the majority of days. Just describing your worst days will completely undermine your claim if they are not typical.
    Also benefits are paid from the date you applied or if my memory serves me well 6 months before your claim 
    PIP cannot be backdated. Any award will be paid from the date of claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.