Had confirmation that my hearing will be on 16th July. It'll be over the phone, and I'm not happy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had confirmation that my hearing will be on 16th July. It'll be over the phone, and I'm not happy

Options
Popdiva43
Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Well I'm had confirmation that my hearing has been booked for the 16th of July, and guess what it's a telephone call, I'm not happy as when I had my assessment it was a telephone call, so I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Good you have a hearing date 

Just because it is by phone doesn't reduce your chances of success the success rate at tribunal is higher than at mr 

Do your prep and go through the descriptors you are fighting for with real examples of what happens when you try and do task 

Lots of people have had good outcomes with phone tribunals 

Let us know how it goes 
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    I will do thankyou
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    Options
    I had my appeal hearing over the phone and it was such a relief. I found it much better than going to Court. The judge, a doctor and an occupational health expert were really kind. I was in a right state and they took their time with me, were softly spoken and very gentle. I had sent extra documents etc as advised  by the CAB and other people but felt something was missing. So to help my case and, In a panic I went through all the descriptors that I thought were wrong and wrote why I thought they were wrong in a letter and sent it off to the court. I instantly regretted it as I knew  it was to much. However, the judge mentioned my letter and I immediately apologised. But she said that it was a good thing as it had given them the opportunity to understand what I wanted to say and it helped them to decide what they wanted to discuss. I was so relieved when it was over, I was so relieved when it was over. I had cried all the way through but they seemed to understand. So try not to worry. It’s not all bad just make sure you have everything written down in detail in front of you. I’m sure you’ll be fine. Good luck. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Popdiva43 Good luck, I hope the replies you've received and @sheZZa 's positive experience have reassured you that just because it's a tribunal over the phone, it needn't mean it will go against you.

Some of the other things you could do to help prepare for the tribunal are:
    • Find somewhere quiet, where you won't be disturbed for the call duration.  
    • Have the appeal papers to hand as the tribunal may refer to evidence within the papers.
    • Make a list of the most important things you want the tribunal to be aware of.
    • Have a notepad and pen to note any concerns you have with the hearing.
    • Make sure your phone is charged, or plugged in.
    • Have a drink or bottle of water with you incase you're thirsty.  
    • Have someone with you for emotional/practical support. If you do this, you need to inform HMCTS in advance if you want somebody to be added to the call. 
    If you have any questions in the run up to the date, please ask away as we'd love to be of support.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.