I've been granted LCW and WA my husband and I are on UC. Can my husband claim carer's allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been granted LCW and WA my husband and I are on UC. Can my husband claim carer's allowance?

lambretta
lambretta Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi there 
I have been granted LCW and WA my husband and I are on universal credit , my husband cares for me since I was took ill , can he claim careers allowance ? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    For him to claim Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of UC you need to be receiving a disability benefit (DLA or PIP).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lambretta
    Thankyou for replie , I got my letter in my journal 15 th of may saying I had been granted LCFW and WRA saying if they owe me any money I would get a letter in my journal within 7 days I have heard nothing , I have been putting fit notes in since October 2020 would I be entitled to any back pay? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hu there 

Lots of other members have said they haven't heard anything in the 7 days quoted so is prob longer wait 

Not knowing all your specific dates of fit note , reporting of condition and your assessment period dates hard ti calculate accurate back pay 

But rough calculation would be first payment from April so there would likely be backpay 

This can take a while to be paid but you should get the additional payment 8n your next payment but will have to wait for backpay 
  • lambretta
    Thankyou for replie , will have to wait and see till I get paid again , my husband cares for me as I am unable to do a lot anymore , he has a work coach contacting him to offer him jobs , does he have to except them ? As that would leave me , I sometimes faint suddenly , so he doesn’t feel he can leave me ,
  • calcotti
    lambretta said:
    ..I have been putting fit notes in since October 2020 would I be entitled to any back pay? 
    That suggests you will be entitled to LCWRA element from February 2021 but it depends on what dates in the month your UC payment period covers.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    lambretta said:
    Thankyou for replie , will have to wait and see till I get paid again , my husband cares for me as I am unable to do a lot anymore , he has a work coach contacting him to offer him jobs , does he have to except them ? As that would leave me , I sometimes faint suddenly , so he doesn’t feel he can leave me ,
    Even though he looks after you because you do not receive a disability benefit he is not classified as a carer and is not exempt from work search requirements. Have you looked into whether you meet the criteria for PIP?
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
  • lambretta
    Hi I think the position I’m in is very unfair as I care for my wife and do everything round the house I don’t mind it’s not her fault she’s poorly she this year suffered two heart attacks and went into cardiac arrest and is now left with unstable angina she has copd low blood pressure a hip problem and suffers anxiety and depression we applied for pip the assessor was awful we were refused uc told my wife to put in for LCWRA which she has received so if I don’t do what uc want they say i will be sanctioned well my wife comes first so I will has anybody else been in this position 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    Did you challenge the PIP decision? How long ago was it?
  • lambretta
    Yes we did and the decision came back just the same they agreed with the assessor 
  • calcotti
    lambretta said:
    Yes we did and the decision came back just the same they agreed with the assessor 
    That sounds like a Mandatory Reconsideration. Did you appeal to the tribunal service?
  • lambretta
    No we didn’t after months of stress my wife couldn’t cope with it anymore so we gave up
  • calcotti
    lambretta said:
    No we didn’t after months of stress my wife couldn’t cope with it anymore so we gave up
    If it's less than thirteen months since the MR you can still try and lodge a late appeal if you wish. See if there are any local advice agencies that can help you https://advicelocal.uk

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.