ESA PIP & Future Pension - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA PIP & Future Pension

Options
2»

Comments

• Philonline
    Philonline Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I hope to find some sort of work I can do and start paying some credits 
    If you are prepared to be treated as a jobseeker by DWP you can apply for NI credits.
    Tried that a couple of years ago and not a chance until I qualify for some benefit or other and that wont be until my inheritance is under 16K, not long to go now after my ex beloved helped herself to a large chunk of it.
    All I get is 330 pounds per 4 weeks PIP not entitled to anything else, basically it covers my rent nothing else.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I hope to find some sort of work I can do and start paying some credits 
    If you are prepared to be treated as a jobseeker by DWP you can apply for NI credits.
    Tried that a couple of years ago and not a chance until I qualify for some benefit or other and that wont be until my inheritance is under 16K, not long to go now after my ex beloved helped herself to a large chunk of it.
    All I get is 330 pounds per 4 weeks PIP not entitled to anything else, basically it covers my rent nothing else.
    You don't need to qualify for a benefit to get NI credits. If you apply to JobCentre as a job seeker and meet the job seeking requirements you can be awarded NI credits - you do not get paid anything.
    https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility

If you have a health condition that limits your ability to work you can apply for new style ESA. You will not meet the paid NI contributions/credits requirements so will not be eligible to receive ESA but if the WCA finds you to have LCW you will receive NI credits for that without having to look for work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Mikka said:
    woodbine said:
    Mikka said:
    Ps: I used the Government Gateway to obtain a pension forecast which came out at £196.78. 
    Mine currently says £229, it's a complex calculation.
    I'm wondering does it increase between now and retirement or is that it? 
    The figure in the forecast is based on today's pension rate so the actual pension will be higher if the standard rate has risen in the interim. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Philonline
    Philonline Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    You don't need to qualify for a benefit to get NI credits. If you apply to JobCentre as a job seeker and meet the job seeking requirements you can be awarded NI credits - you do not get paid anything.
    https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility
    That is exactly what I was told a few years ago Calcoti so I was taken to the job centre in North Shields signed on as a job seeker evem though I could not get any allowance or UC or ESA as I dont qualify due to having over 16K was on as a jobseeker for over a year a fought tooth and nail for credits and did not qualify as I was not pregnant getting a qualifying benefit or have child benefit in my name, gave up after a year as I got nowhere, what they dont say is if you dont qualify because you have savings you will not get it, you will if you qualify for a benefit and for some reason dont claim it..
    They say that page is just basic guidelines or they will owe me a lot of credits.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I am fairly certain that you should have got credits and there is no means testing to get the credits.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.