Stuck — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stuck

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
Just been to hospital and hit some debris on the road

Currently stuck 50 miles from home with a flat tyre and no spare :(

Waiting for RAC to come

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang Oh no!  Thank goodness you're a member of the RAC.  Are you safe and have they given you an expected time of arrival?  Sounds like rubbish luck and sending you lots of virtual support  <3  Keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @Cher_Scope

Yes luckily it was my Motability car and it comes with breakdown cover! They should be here within an hour :)

Thanks for the support :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Oops not good hope your not waiting too long 

I just don't understand modern cars not having spares 

Is there not a cylinder thing in car that inflates it to get you home sorry don't know what they are called 
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @janer1967, yeah we have a can of goo but we are too far from home to drive on it I think so we called them just to be safe
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Hope you don't have a long wait to get the car back up and moving again. 
  • 66Mustang
    I agree about not having a spare!!
  • 66Mustang
    MarkN88 said:
    Hope you don't have a long wait to get the car back up and moving again. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I think your supposed to use it to get to nearest tyre place 

But probably best you called the  breakdown but doubt they have any spare tyres 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Gosh @66Mustang hope you get sorted out soon.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope they get you back on the road PDQ
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Thanks everyone for the good wishes 

We are in a taxi heading home now, not too sure what’s happening with my car but Motability have been really good and I trust they will sort it all :)

I’ve kind of been put off driving a little bit though as this has hurt my confidence - e.g. what if one day I am able to go out alone and this happens then
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Good news @66Mustang the answer to your question is, you will do same as today, its a rare accurance hopefully get your car back soon
  • 66Mustang
    Back home that was a long day for a hospital trip :D
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    66Mustang said:

We are in a taxi heading home now, not too sure what’s happening with my car but Motability have been really good and I trust they will sort it all :)

I’ve kind of been put off driving a little bit though as this has hurt my confidence - e.g. what if one day I am able to go out alone and this happens then
    And we were only singing the praises of Motability this week!
    Glad you got home okay! ?
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    66Mustang said:

And we were only singing the praises of Motability this week!
    Glad you got home okay! ?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad you got home safe @66Mustang.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Bad luck but glad you got home eventually!

Is there enough room for a space saver spare wheel & jack in the boot of your car?  For around £100 on ebay I'd rather buy one for peace of mind.  I don't think I'd physically be able to jack up a car myself anymore, or lift a wheel, but still keep a spare that could be fitted by recovery or a passer by if needed.  :)
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks everyone :)

@OverlyAnxious I did look into getting a spare when I got the car but sadly the boot in the Mini is tiny so wouldn't have room for any luggage/shopping. I think next time I change my car I will be looking to get one with runflats as I had them before and they came in really handy, even if they do affect the ride quality a little bit!
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    They don't give you spare tyres in the new cars you can drive quite a long way with the spray you spray into your tyre I drove 300 miles when my tyre had a puncture the tyre is no good though after you put that spray stuff in 

Hope you don't have to pay the excess charge 

I have run flats on my car and my spare is a run flat but I only drive old cars  you can ask for run flat tyres to be put on your mobility car I think you just have to pay the difference that a normal tyre costs 

• 66Mustang
    Thanks @lisathomas50

Didn’t know the spray was good for that far, wow

Just learned that the RAC man has delivered my car to the tyre shop in my home town, instead of a tyre shop local to where I had the puncture (50 miles away), he has been so helpful 

Not a bad thing to say about the whole process they have been brilliant :)

Brightness