If UC allows the spare bedroom, will I get higher rate housing element? Will this be backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If UC allows the spare bedroom, will I get higher rate housing element? Will this be backdated?

hello12345
hello12345 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello. Hope somebody can help me. After getting my recent PIP award backdated several months, I have just received a notification from Universal Credit to ask whether I regularly need a spare bedroom because of disability. (To which I am answering yes, as I do have the spare bedroom). I understand that if Universal Credit allows the spare bedroom, I will get a higher rate for housing element? Will this higher rate housing element be automatically backdated as well? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Having a spare bedroom is not the same as needing one. You need to explain what the medical need is.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hello12345
    Yes I have explained it. My carer had been using it for that purpose, long before I even received PIP, just did not know that UC considered it ☺️

Does anybody know the answers to my two questions please? 
  • calcotti
    If you allowed the extra bedroom your housing element will increase. I think you will be entitled to backdating, whether it will happen without you having to specifically ask will depend on how efficient DWP are. Wait for the decision to see of they allow it, if they don't refer to backdating post a message in your journal asking about it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hello12345
    thank you @calcotti
    and do you know how long it will take DWP to make the initial decision? 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    thank you @calcotti
    and do you know how long it will take DWP to make the initial decision? 
    No. Lots of things are taking longer at the moment but sometimes people get a quick response.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.