Is my dad who gets guarantee pension credit entitled to Housing Benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is my dad who gets guarantee pension credit entitled to Housing Benefit?

Beesmummy798
Beesmummy798 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
Hi there, I'm new to this so bear with me please ?. I joined for myself but would like to ask a question on behalf of my dad. A bit of a confusing one.. My dad lives on his own in a fold type housing association apartment. Originally when he went into this apartment he did so jointly with my mum, as a joint tenancy.
Nearly 2 years ago my mum moved out and she is now living with my sister for reasons relating to dad's illness, agression etc. Although she is named on the tenancy for security she can't live there, it's impossible unfortunately ? but if anything happens to dad she needs the security that she won't be homeless, and eventually will take the apartment over. My dad is 77, gets guarantee pension credit and pips but he is paying £500 per month rent out of this. It's too much money as he doesn't have a lot in savings. Can anyone advise if he is eligible for housing benefit without my mums name being taken off tenancy agreement? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated xxx

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    What is a 'fold type' apartment?

If he claims Housing benefit he should get full payment of eligible rent because he gets guarantee Pension Credit. Whether the full rent is treated as eligible or only 50% because of the joint tenancy i am not sure but i would expect he would get at least the 50%. If he is liable for Council tax he could get Council Tax Reduction too.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Beesmummy798
    edited June 2021
    Calcotti thankyou for your reply. Sorry I'm from Northern Ireland so some terms may be a bit different. A fold here is sheltered housing for elderly. I think the conditions on housing benefit are the same we just don't pay council tax it's called rates here. I was just concerned as my mum is named on tenancy but she still works, although she doesn't live there. Thankyou x
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    I think if his Pension Credit is being assessed as if he is single then he is likely to be treated as liable for all of the rent. He just needs to apply and see what happens. I don’t know anything about rate support in NI.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Beesmummy798 - I don't know if the following link will help you. Please see: https://nihe.gov.uk/Housing-Help/Housing-Benefit

• Beesmummy798
    edited June 2021
    Thanks so much. I wish I had joined this community sooner and asked questions. I have just came across this forum through Google and have been reading through discussions for a while and am so impressed with your approach and knowledge. My dad has paid rent on his own for just nearly 2 years. Struggling, nearly 10k in total from his pension and pip. I have just never been up to date with benefits and extras. Thankyou again for your insight x
  • calcotti
    Her’s a link to rate relief for pensioners
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/help-with-rates-for-pensioners
  • Beesmummy798
    Thankyou @chiarieds this is so helpful x
  • Beesmummy798
    Thankyou @calcotti for all your advice x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Beesmummy798 and a very warm welcome. I hope the above comments have been helpful, it certainly appears that way. 

Is your dad receiving all the support he needs to manage his condition?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Beesmummy798
    @Ross_Scope hi there, yes thankyou. We help him out myself and my sister and he has a great family doctor. Thanks again x

Brightness