How long for decision after assessment? How can I prepare for it? How likely am I to get awarded? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long for decision after assessment? How can I prepare for it? How likely am I to get awarded?

Options
AlyssaHdz14
AlyssaHdz14 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all,

I submitted my PIP claim in March on the basis of severe anxiety, functional neurological disorder, suspected crohns or ulcerative colitis and suspected autism. I have my telephone assessment on Wednesday (23rd of June), so from first claiming to assessment date it has taken 12 and a half weeks! My questions are:

•How long will it take for a decision to be made after my assessment? 
•Do I need to mentally prepare myself for the assessment haha!? What are the assessors like?
•What is the likelihood of being awarded PIP, I’m worried about the fact that the crohns or colitis and autism are ‘suspected’ and not diagnosed, but they should understand more than anyone that Covid causes delays and I’ve been referred to the relevant services and it’s just a waiting game... right??

thanks for any and all help!

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    AlyssaHdz14 said:...so from first claiming to assessment date it has taken 12 and a half weeks! ..
    At the moment that is quite quick, there are many posters on the forum who have been waiting six months for an assessment.

The official line is that it can take up to 8 weeks from assessment to get a decision but actual times vary. It may be sooner, it may be longer.

No one can know how likely you are to get an award, it depends on how your conditions affect your ability to undertake the specified activities to the required standard and how well you have presented your case. However the PIP assessment is about impact not diagnosis so the fact you do not have definitively diagnosed conditions should not matter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @AlyssaHdz14 :) I hope that calcotti's guidance above has helped. 

In terms of how you can prepare, many people find it helpful to have some notes in front of them as well as a copy of their original application. This could help you to stay on track with your answers, and make sure that you don't miss anything out that you wanted to get across. You can also have a loved one sit with you if you wish, which helps to ease some people's nerves. Small things like making sure you have a drink with you and that your phone is fully charged could also make you feel more at ease.

Each assessor is different, but they should be polite and respectful. Make sure that you don't reply to questions with a 'yes' or 'no' answer where possible, and try not to let them rush you through any answers. 

Just to let you know, I've renamed your post slightly.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • AlyssaHdz14
    AlyssaHdz14 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! You’ve all been very helpful 
  • Sammiecat75
    Sammiecat75 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Options
    Hi i have waited since putting my claim in last nov.they only received it 25th jan only got my assessment last thursday the 17th..now its another wait so approx mines would be going into 9 months from putting my claim in untill i get decision as lady says 8 weeks for decision.i think its a disgrace the amount of time people have waited  its not saying i will get awarded anything either so it could be a whole wasted time for me..which causes me more anxiety i cannot take any bad news as my world will fall apart.
    Sorry to rant x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.