Hi, my name is Meliss23! I have depression, and am not having much luck finding support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Meliss23! I have depression, and am not having much luck finding support

Meliss23
Meliss23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in Mental health and wellbeing
I don’t know if this is the right place for me but I’ve had severe depression on and off for the past nearly 10 years, I’m not working because of it and I’m on universal credit. I’m just about to change my antidepressant medication yet again and I’m so scared, I feel in such a dark place and I’m not having much luck finding some support :(  

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Hi @Meliss23 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read about your depression & your worries over trying a different medication for this. Have you discussed your concerns with your GP as they might be able to ease your mind? In the meanwhile, I'm pleased you've joined us all, as everyone here is very supportive. Please use the forum to chat here absolutely any time, & also let us know how you get on. My best wishes. :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Meliss23

Thank you for joining us on Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Scope can certainly be a place for you. From the information you have provided, I am thinking the discussion groups that could be particularly useful for you are 'mental health issues', 'employment and careers' and 'universal credit'. You may also enjoy more general conversations and making friends with our community members in groups such as the coffee lounge. I hope we can support you through this understandably challenging time. I am looking forward to seeing you around on the forum  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Welcome to the community @Meliss23 :) I'm sorry to hear that you've been in a dark place recently. As the others have said, the community can be a supportive and friendly place for you to talk things through with people and get stuff off of your chest. 

Have you spoken to your doctor about your worries over changing medication? Have they talked you through what the side effects might be, or how long it might take until they start to work? 

Have you ever tried accessing any other kinds of support, such as talking therapy? 

What other kinds of support are you looking for? Maybe we could help you find something :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness