Being single for the rest of your life? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being single for the rest of your life?

kelics
kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
It used to bother me a bit,  I've been single for many years, after time you kinda get used to it, there are thoughts such as "how good it would be to find a supportive partner". But at this stage in life its kinda ok i guess, as i said you kinda get used to of being alone.

Anyone ever had similar thoughts or felt that someone is missing in their life or anything related?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree you di get used to it I tried a new relationship after 3 years single but I didn't like my space being taken up or having to please someone else 

I don't think I could live with a partner in near future may feel different when my son is older and leaves home 

Would be nice to have company some of the time and someone to go out with now and again but that's pretty impossible to find 
  • kelics
    @janer1967 thats it, the company thats what to all need i think :). Its good to have supportive friends, but i dont think its the same as having a partner.
  • janer1967
    No it isn't the same I agree 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    There's nothing wrong with being single @kelics, and being happy being single, but there's also nothing wrong with wanting to be in a positive relationship one day. I do think there are other people out there who'll be looking for the same thing as you, in terms of companionship and support, but it can be difficult to find. Have you tried putting yourself out there by joining any social groups or anything similar? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • kelics
    Hey @Tori_Scope thanks for reply! Well there it is, im so used to of being alone and travel everywhere alone that i just did not feel the need to look for anyone and afraid this feeling will become a permanent one. Like you said one day there might be someone, just need to point the energy of the universe to guide me in the right direction :).

Another thing is i have MS and one of my symptoms is like a severe fatigue, not sure if im fit enough for a healthy relationship :)

If not this life then the next one thats for sure!, all depands what you believe in :) \/
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember when I was young it seemed impossible that I’d ever have a partner, however things just happen sometimes. I wouldn’t give up hope because if you’re looking then chances are someone else is looking too. Good luck and all the best.
    ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• kelics
    @leeCal metivational, the most important is to have the right mind set i think :)
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Lol,latest monthly updates ,from "free" dating sites!

Lots of  60 plus Females looking for 30 to 45 year old guys! :wink:  lol. 

Get real! 

The words ,desperate, and sad spring to mind! Lol 

• janer1967
    @gaz1960 it's the same the other way round too men looking for young girls
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Must be my old fashioned English of thinking! 

My bad! 

Same age,same responsibility,same old fashioned English values! Honesty, respect, honour!  

Yeah, yeah, i know, I'm an old fashioned idiot! 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    My partners and husbands have all been younger than  age is just a number I don't look or act my age 

When I go out I get chatted up by guys in their 20s  lol younger than my kids lol 
  • kelics
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gaz1960

I'm sorry to hear that the latest update from the dating site doesn't appear to be to your liking. I don't think there's anything wrong with people of that age looking for somebody who is younger than then, I wouldn't at all say it's desperate or sad.

Regardless of the gender of the older or younger person, as long as everything is consensual and done with the right intentions then there should be no barriers to love, especially not age.

I hope that you are able to find someone soon, I'm sorry to see that it hasn't brought results yet for you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • kelics
    Speaking of older partners, i did meet someone once who is a year older than my mum lol. It felt weird but anyway it happens..
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I once actually married someone older than myself and I found myself staying in watching tv and her reading books every night. I was incredibly bored and we got divorced after two years of it. 

I think most people naturally gravitate towards their own generation. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness