I got my award letter on Monday. My award has been reduced. My condition is the same. What can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I got my award letter on Monday. My award has been reduced. My condition is the same. What can I do?

samahira
samahira Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello everyone
i received my pip award letter on Monday. Unfortunately my award is reduced from both higher to standard daily only. My condition is still the same. I don’t know what to do now.  
Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Regards 

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    edited June 2021
    Hi @samahira sorry you have had this happen! It's what just happened to me too only I was on standard both and was awarded nothing so the only thing can be done I believe is a mandatory reconsideration? Sorry should say its where you ask the dwp to look at their decision again and they can either change it or agree with it and then you can take it to next stage appeal?
    The people on here are brilliant help with getting you the right paperwork to read or documentation? And the only bit I know advice wise is that putting it in writing is better than doing over the phone? And use the list of descriptors someone will post up probably because I didn't know about them until after I sent mine off so had to send further information in and has made it take longer! Hope you get it all sorted out! Take care and stay safe! :sunglasses: xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear your claim has been reduced 

As above you need to submit a mr   I would suggest you get some advice from welfare rights to assist you 

There are lots of tips on here in our pip section to help you as well 

As suggested put it in writing and go through the descriptors you think you should score more and give 2 real examples of what happens when you try to do them 

You can also send extra evidence if relevant things like a day diary or a letter from someone who sees how you live daily 

Let us know how you get on 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @samahira :) I'm sorry to hear that your award was reduced. 

To add to the above, here is a link to the PIP descriptors on pipinfo.net. You should refresh yourself on these, and identify where you think you should have scored the additional points. 

If you scroll to the bottom of this page on the Benefits and Work website, you can see an 'additional information' section. I'd encourage you to read the bit on what it means to be able to do something reliably, safely, in a timely manner, and so on. 

Do you have any relevant evidence that you didn't submit the first time around? 

Here's some more general information about mandatory reconsiderations (MR) on the Citizens Advice website.

Perhaps you could give those a read and let us know if you have any questions? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • samahira
    Thank you for all your advice. I only managed to look at your posts today to understand it takes time. I am so tired and exhausted, my stress gets bad and leaves me completely drained. 
    Last time I had to go through appeal to get higher award for both. 
    Its not fair. The process is lengthy and stressful which no one deserves. 

• Emilyb81
    Hi @samahira not trying to be nosey but wondering how many points under were you for enhanced both Or standard mobility? X
  • samahira
    I got 8 points for daily 
    4 points for mobility 
  • Emilyb81
    I think surely if you were able to get enhanced both before then as long as you can still give examples in writing of how you still struggle or can't do certain things/descriptors then you should in theory be able to do the same again but obviously it's all down to the decision maker who looks at your MR etc :disappointed: and you said you had to appeal before so it's possible you may have to do that again! It's a shame they don't seem to look at people who were already in receipt of certain awards and see the situation hasn't changed for the better therefore it makes sense they would still get the same thing :disappointed: It would save them work too as well as it not making things harder for people who are already poorly etc! Anyway sorry again @samahira I really hope this time it gets sorted out without it needing to go to tribunal! You are so close on daily living though so don't give up! As bad as it sounds I do believe that's what they want to happen or it appears that way to me but I do have a very negative thinking pattern so what do I know?! :lol: take care hun! 
  • samahira
    Thank you 
    reading emilyb81’s comments and suggestions gives me hope. But I dread those moments. It is very stressful and depressing. I don’t want to go through it again. Actually I don’t want anyone to go through these process. 
    Regards 
  • samahira
    Hi 
    I get help from welfare rights with filling in the pip form 
    they are now preparing to do mr
    my adviser is suggesting number of points I should have been awarded for each descriptor and the points added as
    daily 19
    and mobility 22
    is it write to suggest points?
    Any advise will be appropriated

regards
  • Emilyb81
    I believe that's the whole point of doing the MR to show where you feel you should of got the points you haven't been awarded? And give a couple of examples of why as in ways you aren't able to do those things and what happens when you have tried etc? :smile: so happy you have got some advice hun! Good luck with it all! Keep us in the loop I'm nosey like that lol ???‍♀️??‍♀️?? xx
  • samahira
    Like your style 
    thanks xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.