Do you think I’m entitled and what rates will I get — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think I’m entitled and what rates will I get

charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
Hello everyone I’m Charlotte I’m new here, so I applied for PIP just over 6 weeks ago now and I haven’t heard anything yet. I’m just wondering if there’s been anybody else in the same boat as me with my disability’s. I want to no if there’s anyone else out there who suffer with what I have receive PIP. So I suffer with severe depression, generalised anxiety disorder, agoraphobia which is really bad I barely ever leave the house only if I have an appointment with a gp or hospital etc.. I have to leave. Frequent panic attacks, Incontinence and sciatica and also spondylitis of the lumber spine. I have sent a support letter to the DWP off my gp and I did phone them last week and they said my claim was now with an accessor from capitor I think it was called. Thankyou for reading x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

Jysr to prepare you there may be a long wait ahead,  people have been waiting around 6 months for an assessment 

It's not for us to say if you would get an award as we don't see you and how your disability affects your functionality 
    Even if someone has same conditions they ars all affected different 

Have a look through the descriptors to see where you think you may score 

Lots of posts from others in our pip section tho they are not all positive outcomes but remember people normally only come on forums if they have issues and not if they have been successful 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    @charlotte84 hi and a warm welcome to scope, how are you doing this evening?
    You will at some point hear from capita re:assessment which will probably be done over the phone.
    You should keep in mind that PIP isn't about your illnesses or conditions but how they affect your everyday life. I'm afraid they might not take much interest in a letter from your GP as they don't know how your illnesses affects you in relation to the PIP descriptors a list of which can be found in the link below; good luck.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlotte84 - welcome to the community. I'm sorry to say that with all that's going on, you might have quite a wait before you get an assessment from what we've heard from many of our members. As everyone's different, even tho we have members that have the same disorders as yourself, it all depends on how your disabilities affect you as an individual, as has been mentioned above, & how well you were able to complete your claim form relating to the descriptors linked to by woodbine. Kindly let us know how you get on. thank you.
  • charlotte84
    Thankyou all for replying to me, @woodbine you mentioned that pip may not take any notice of my gps support letter as they don’t see me and my everyday disability’s. Who would be able to help my then. Thankyou for your help x
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlotte84 and a warm welcome to the community from me!

Evidence from people who know how your impairments impact your ability to complete the PIP activities would be useful i.e. a supporting letter from a support worker, carer or even a friend or family member explaining in detail what they observe and how they provide support.  

It must be challenging dealing with the conditions you describe, how are you coping?  Do you feel that you have enough support from either your GP or a designated care team?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • charlotte84
    Thankyou @Cher_Scope for your comment, no to be honest I don’t think I’m getting enough support off my gp all they do is fob me off with meds and refer me to organisations. I’ve seen lots of different organisations and charity’s and my mental health is no better if anything it’s worse. I feel like nobody listens to me. ?
  • skhan95
    skhan95 Community member Posts: 123 Connected
    Hello dnt be upset try to get help I'm going for talking therapies from last 4 years but still think that I need help every day I struggle with myself 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    It must be difficult to feel as though you're getting fobbed off, or that no one's listening @charlotte84. Do you live in England? Have you ever heard of the IAPT scheme? It allows you to refer yourself for therapy, rather than having your GP do that for you. 

You mentioned that you weren't really able to leave the house at the moment- are you able to get food and other essential items in? How are you coping living at home generally? 

Have you tried any techniques, such as grounding techniques, to help you cope when you're having a panic attack?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Is the talking therapy helping a little @skhan95? It can take a while for you to see changes. Is there any additional help you think you could benefit from, such as help at home? 

• charlotte84
    @Tori_Scope no I live in wales. I have support off my partner and children but I constantly feels so lonely as if I am alone even though there’s people here who live with me. What is a grounding technique as I have very frequent panic attacks and don’t cope with them very well at all ?
  • Tori_Scope
    It's definitely possible to feel alone, despite being surrounded by people @charlotte84. Have you considered joining a local support group or something similar to meet other people who can relate to your experience?

Grounding techniques are techniques that can sort of help bring you back to the current moment if you're having something such as a panic attack. Verywell Mind has some information on them, which you can read here. They also provide some examples for each of the senses.
    Sight
    • Complete a crossword puzzle, sudoku, word search, or other puzzle.
    • Count all the pieces of furniture around you.
    • Play a distracting game on your tablet, computer, or smartphone.
    • Put on your favorite movie or TV show.
    • Read a book or magazine.
    • Take a mental inventory of everything around you, such as all the colors and patterns you see, the sounds you hear, and the scents you smell. Saying this out loud is helpful too.
    Smell
    • Get some essential oils that remind you of good times (freshly cut grass, rain, clean laundry, or sugar cookies, for example) and smell one.
    • Light a scented candle or melt scented wax.
    • Sniff strong peppermint, which also has the benefit of having a soothing effect.3
    Sound
    • Call a loved one.
    • Put on some nature sounds such as birds chirping or waves crashing.
    • Read out loud, whether it's a favorite children's book, a blog post, or a novel.
    • Talk out loud about what you see and hear, or what you're thinking or doing.4
    • Turn up the radio or blast your favorite song.
    Taste
    • Bite into a lemon or lime.
    • Let a piece of chocolate melt in your mouth, noticing how it tastes and feels as you roll it around with your tongue.
    • Suck on a mint or chew peppermint or cinnamon gum.
    • Take a bite of pepper or some hot salsa.
    Touch
    • Cuddle and pet your dog or cat if you have one.
    • Drink a hot or cold beverage.
    • Grab an article of clothing, a blanket, or a towel and knead it in your hands or hold it to your cheek. Concentrate on what it feels like.
    • Hold an ice cube and let it melt in your hand.
    • Massage your temples.
    • Pop some bubble wrap.
    • Put your hands under running water.4
    • Rub your hand lightly over the carpet or a piece of furniture, noting the texture.
    • Take a hot or cool shower.
    Other
    • Dance.
    • Go for a walk or run.
    • Send a letter or card to someone you care about.
    • Sit in another room or area for a change of scenery.
    • Stretch your arms, neck, and legs.
    • Take 10 slow, deep breaths.
    • Write in a journal about how you're feeling or keep a list of prompts handy that you can use to decide what to write about.
    Another common grounding technique is the 54321 method, in which you go take time to notice:
    • 5 things you can see
    • 4 things you can touch
    • 3 things you can hear
    • 2 things you can smell
    • 1 thing you can taste

• charl1980
    charl1980 Community member Posts: 130 Courageous
    Hi Charlotte I'm also a charl with similar issues if u can inbox me I'd love to chat

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.