If I started working for £23,000 a year, would my UC with carer element stop? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I started working for £23,000 a year, would my UC with carer element stop?

james19o6
james19o6 Community member Posts: 158 Courageous
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Good Morning Guys

I have a query regarding Universal credit and working conditions.

I currently receive a UC payment of £1400 every month includingy carer element. However I have just been offered a job with a salary of £23,000 a year. 

So if I did accept the job would they stop my benefit or how will ot actually work? Any advise would be much appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

From what I understand your uc will reduce by 63p in the £1 for every pound you earn 

Unless you have a work allowance for either children on your claim or lcwra 

Try using a benefits calculator to enter all your details there is one here in benefits section or on gov website 
  • james19o6
    I understand however if I work 30 hours full time, am I still able to claim career elements?
  • janer1967
    Yes you can still claim carers element of uc 

However if you claim carers allowance there is a earnings limit and your earnings would take you over this 

But as above carers in uc is still paid if working as long as you still care for person 35 hours or more 
  • james19o6
    I dont claim career allowance. I only claim career element on UC. But thank you very much for the information it was really useful
  • janer1967
    Your welcome 

Good luck with the job hope it all works out 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Unlike Carer's Allowance there is no earnings limit for the carer element of UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • james19o6
    Thank you guys for all the info. Also, just to confirm if they deduct will they calculate my salary after tax o4 before?
  • janer1967
    I'm not 100% sure of the answer I presume it will be after deductions 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    james19o6 said:
    Thank you guys for all the info. Also, just to confirm if they deduct will they calculate my salary after tax o4 before?
    UC earnings deductions are based on net salary after tax, ni and pension contributions. If you have student loan deductions these will be added back on to the amount you actually receive from your employer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.