New application for ESA. What happens next? Will someone want to see my sick note? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New application for ESA. What happens next? Will someone want to see my sick note?

EKB2013
EKB2013 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have recently had to make a claim for ESA as I have already received the full 28 weeks SSP from my employer.
I completed the information on line 2 weeks ago and was wondering what happens next? As I have a form from employer and also I assume someone will want to see my sick note?

Any information appreciated 
thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Normally you would be expected to attend a face to afce appointment at the JobCentre and DWP are reintroducing these appointments. It's possible however that you will have a telephone call instead.

The process is outlined here
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#after-you-apply
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • EKB2013
    Thank you for your response.
    will I need to send information off to them first?
    I am currently undergoing treatment for cancer and this is all very new to me and despite what it says online I’m aware that everything appears to take much longer than they state.

thank you 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    EKB2013 said:
    Thank you for your response.
    will I need to send information off to them first?
    I am currently undergoing treatment for cancer and this is all very new to me and despite what it says online I’m aware that everything appears to take much longer than they state.

thank you 
    The process is easier for you if you are having cancer treatment if it is radiotherapy or chemotherapy and if cancer is your only health condition.

DWP will send you a health questionnaire ESA50 to complete. You can see what it looks like here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/capability-for-work-questionnaire

If cancer is your only health condition and you are receiving, likely to receive or recovering from radiotherapy/chemotherapy then you can ignore the questions that ask how your health affects you. You need a member of your medical team to complete the last two pages about your treatment. You return the form. You will not be required to have an assessment and you will automatically be placed in the ESA Support Group.

You will receive £74.70/week initially (assuming you are not aged under 25) rising to £114.10 from the fourteenth week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • EKB2013
    Thank you very much for your help :)

• EKB2013
    So today I’ve received a letter to say they need another sick note as my last one ran out on the 2nd July!!!
    but I haven’t sent them a sick note yet ??‍♀️ 
    I’ve put my current one in the returns envelope and sent it off but I have no idea what is going on.
    I tried to call them yesterday but after an hour on hold I gave up…
  • calcotti
    You can upload Fit Notes for ESA online https://www.gov.uk/send-fit-note.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.