Hobbies - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hobbies

Comments

• Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    yes helpful thank you 

i need it for reading textbooks for my masters some of the them are copyright protected and theres a process you need to go through but i think its just practice
  • Geegeenumber1
    nice to meet you
  • dem63
    dem63 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    watching Netflix with my lady at nights and if I find the courage again I will go to take some pictures with my camera ....
  • dem63
    dem63 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    language learning
    astrology
    if you want help with the Greek language I can help :smile:

• kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    I used to play electric guitar, nowadays it makes me a bit tired and hands are stiff and clumsy, so i would say video games whenever i feel fit for them :)

Really want to get into reading.

Ps. Ooh how could i forget... music is life ♡ 
  • kelics
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format deleted

What happened to the user i wonder

• kelics
    edited June 2021
    @HanzRolo hello again dude! Sorry about your job! On a positive side, you will have plenty free time!

History is great, love watching documentaries.

Do you like watching about Nazi Germany or other war related stuff? 

Good luck with learning Polish lol!

I dont know it, but it looks and sounds very complicated :D
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I love history and the family history aspect has me interested and I have been for a while. Does anyone know where best to start?
  • kelics
    @MarkN88 i love history too! Do you mean where to find good history documentaries?
    I usually find plenty on YouTube, not sure if this was your question
  • MarkM88
    kelics said:
    @MarkN88 i love history too! Do you mean where to find good history documentaries?
    I usually find plenty on YouTube, not sure if this was your question
    No, sorry, I meant where is best to start with starting to look into my family history/tree. 
  • kelics
    @MarkN88 aaah i see. Well good luck with :)
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    kelics said:
    @HanzRolo hello again dude! Sorry about your job! On a positive side, you will have plenty free time!

History is great, love watching documentaries.

Do you like watching about Nazi Germany or other war related stuff? 

Good luck with learning Polish lol!

I dont know it, but it looks and sounds very complicated :D
    Haha hey man :)  Yeah, time to work out what to do next I guess.

Nah I'm more into Vikings and social history.  Mostly "Dark Age" history.  The bits that there aren't already tonnes written about  :D

Yeah, I'm dyslexic too so it's been an interesting experience.  I'm teaching myself so no one laughing in class at me which is a bonus.
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    MarkN88 said:
    I love history and the family history aspect has me interested and I have been for a while. Does anyone know where best to start?
    Get a notepad (either physical or on your computer) and write down what you know already, parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles etc.  Ask your family what they know and pull it together and see what you have.  You might find you can only get one side of your family to your grandparents or much further back.  Then you should look at the best place for you to start researching.  It's worth noting that some libraries have free access to either Ancestry or FindMyPast so I would check with them before getting a subscription as they can be pricey.  I use both websites as they have different things on them.  FindMyPast is better for UK and Irish, Ancestry is better for North America but both have a lot for Engish and Welsh.  Scotland is trickier, a lot of it is on Scotland'sPeople which you have to pay credits for certificates.  Hope that helps :) 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkN88 - when I looked into my husband's family tree, I used Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/     & they have free trials. They're good for looking at previous census returns. I didn't use the hints that others gave, as I found several to be misleading. Also look online for parish registers to find births, deaths & marriages. I also found online help from one local group who were very knowledgeable.
  • MarkM88
    @chiarieds @HanzRolo

Thanks. I will take that on board. I also found some info on the BBC website that I’m going to read. 
  • Geegeenumber1
    @HanzRolo
    good luck with your langugage learning how are you learning im thinking of picking up german as learned the basics at school and think this would be the easiest - is it a free course you do how do you go about it  
  • kelics
    @HanzRolo me too, finished Vikings series not long ago, could have done few more seasons :)

Theres a cool youtube channel you might like Bjorn Andreas Bull-Hansen check it out
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @Geegeenumber1

I use the DuoLingo app on my smartphone for language learning, it's easy to use and free so definitely worth a look.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Geegeenumber1
    thank you are you learning one
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I sporadically do German @Geegeenumber1, I studied it at A-level when I was in education and I just like to brush up every now and again.

Sehr gut!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness