Hi, I'm Hatty2021! How can I save money on bills whilst getting benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Hatty2021! How can I save money on bills whilst getting benefits?

Hatty2021
Hatty2021 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hello I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to afford Bill's when I'm on benefits 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

What bills are you referring to 

One tip is to make sure you ate in the most competitive tariff for energy 

Make sure you are getting all benefits you are entitled to try a benefits calculator 

Be careful how you spend 

If you have debts you are paying speak to the lender and explain your situation and negotiate an affordable payment plan 
  • Hatty2021
    Hello just all Bill's really like water,gas and electric 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Do some research into swapping suppliers see if you can get cheaper 
  • Hatty2021
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Hatty2021 and a warm welcome to our online community.  How are you keeping?

Scope have a 'Budgeting to stay out of debt' webpage that gives lots of advice on this topic.  Plus, we have a free Disability Energy Support Service which is open to anyone disabled living in England or Wales.  You can book an appointment using this register link and will be able to speak with a friendly advisor for 45 minutes about ways to reduce your energy bills, in addition to:

• switching tariffs or supplier
    • changing your meter
    • energy efficiency
    • accessing energy benefits, grants and trusts
    • contacting or complaining to your supplier
    • understanding your gas or electricity bills
    • understanding how to use your heating systems
    Here's a link to Scope's benefits calculator too, to double check you are getting everything you're entitled to.

Are you coping okay food-wise?  Please let us know if you need any more help and we'll do our best to support you.

Just to let you know, I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to our Finances and extra costs category, which is a good place to browse for other members tips and stories.  Take care and speak soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hatty2021

Welcome to the community. 

Great question, saving money is somethign so many people are always trying to do and it's good to talk about methods of doing so. 

I tend to shop around and compare really. I'm quite frequently looking at my current bills and considering hassle free ways of switching to a cheaper, or better value, provider. 

It's worth having a look at comparison websites, and doing some budgeting to work out exactly what you can afford and how much you want to allocate to certain bills.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Have you considered a water meter if its available? People often report there bills are smaller having one of those. 

I'm not sure if you have broadband, but BT have a basic scheme, not sure if its any help?

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/help-people-with-impairments-or-with-particular-needs/how-do-i-find-out-more-about-bt-basic-
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    One good way of seeing where the moneys going and where you might save some is for one month write down everything you spend be it 50p or £50, then you can look back and see if it was all necessary or could you cut something down in future?
    Another way to save money when shopping in the big supermarkets its to move one brand down, if you look at a display of e.g coffee at eye level will be the major brand names (usually the most expensive) look down and you will see their own brand usually considerably cheaper, look down again and see their own brand cheapest label.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hatty2021
    Thank you everyone for your replies massive help to me means a lot :) xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hatty2021 - & welcome to the community. It might seem obvious, but have you checked that you're receiving all the benefits you might be able to claim too. Please check here: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
    Another, perhaps different thing to look at, would you be able to grow some of your own food? When I was just living off my Disability Living Allowance, this helped me enormously, & I only have a small garden. It's amazing what can be grown in a few containers, & the taste is a bonus. I still grow tomatoes, courgettes, squash, many beans, leeks, miniature cucumbers, lettuce, spring onions, onions, garlic, beetroot, herbs, etc. Appreciate this isn't about bills, but can save you money.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.