Hobbies - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hobbies

13»

Comments

• Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    i was top at it at school but didnt do a level

im thinking of doing german as well ! how exciting

an excuse to go back to berlin
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Go for it @Geegeenumber1! How many times have you been to Berlin? I've sadly never had the pleasure but been to Cologne a few times
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I use Duolingo too for learning German; it's very good.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    i went to berlin once as part of a dual trip with krakow would love to go back

i thought cologne was france ha ha

haha chiarieds we are all learning german how cool
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    MarkN88 said:
    @chiarieds @HanzRolo

Thanks. I will take that on board. I also found some info on the BBC website that I’m going to read. 
    There are loads of groups on Facebook that have super sleuths when you get stuck or have advice on getting started.  I've been doing my tree for 12 years and taken a DNA test.  Turns out I am human after all  :D
    As @chiarieds said, Ancestry do free trials and they have free weekends around holidays like St Patricks or VE Day.  You can sign up and have a free account, but you won't have access to the records when you don't pay for it.  When I was a student with pennies to rub together, I'd take a few months off but my account remained and when I was able to pay again, I picked up where I left off (though I did back everything up just in case).
  • HanzRolo
    @HanzRolo
    good luck with your langugage learning how are you learning im thinking of picking up german as learned the basics at school and think this would be the easiest - is it a free course you do how do you go about it  
    I am using Duolingo.  I did start a course on learning languages on Open University for free and I listen to podcasts in Polish from time to time.  I watched a series on Netflix too which I enjoyed called Ultraviolet so I could get used to the sound of the language.  There's a lady on YouTube who does a series called 5-Minute Language where she teaches you the do's and don'ts of trying to learn a new language.  I don't have any Polish friends I can practise with, so it's all at my own very slow pace.  Euro 2020 has made me slow down on hobbies while I yell at the TV  :D  
  • HanzRolo
    kelics said:
    @HanzRolo me too, finished Vikings series not long ago, could have done few more seasons :)

Theres a cool youtube channel you might like Bjorn Andreas Bull-Hansen check it out
    I didn't watch Vikings.  I'm a bit funny with watching series about the time period I studied at university.  I get annoyed when they get things wrong.  I do LOVE Last Kingdom though.  Well worth a binge watch if you haven't seen it already.  They've just finished filming the final series  :'( 

Thanks, I've bookmarked it so I can check it out later :) 
  • JanetMor
    JanetMor Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Ive been doing some weaving on a rigid heddle loom
  • HanzRolo
    @JanetMor that is amazing!!  What a fantastic skill to have! :) 
  • JanetMor
    I have only been learning it this year, mostly be watching youtube videos, HanzRolo
  • chiarieds
    That's really good @JanetMar - I've tried weaving before, & it's not as easy as it looks; I'm impressed. :)
  • JanetMor
    Thanks Chiarieds, it's not easy but I can manage if my husband helps me to warp it.
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    HanzRolo said:
    kelics said:
    @HanzRolo me too, finished Vikings series not long ago, could have done few more seasons :)

Theres a cool youtube channel you might like Bjorn Andreas Bull-Hansen check it out
    I didn't watch Vikings.  I'm a bit funny with watching series about the time period I studied at university.  I get annoyed when they get things wrong.  I do LOVE Last Kingdom though.  Well worth a binge watch if you haven't seen it already.  They've just finished filming the final series  :'( 

Thanks, I've bookmarked it so I can check it out later :) 
    thanks mate, i will!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @kelics

What did you think of Vikings? I really liked that programme. It's one of the few modern TV shows I watched :)

I'm sure there are points that are not historically accurate but it served its purpose well I thought which was to entertain. :)

I'm not sure about more series because I found it started to go over the same kind of stuff but yes maybe they could have done more.
  • kelics
    @66Mustang i loved it. I wish Ragnar didnt die. My fav ep/season was where they tried to conquer Paris. Lagarta, Bjorn, Ragnar, Floki my fav chars.

What about you?
  • 66Mustang
    Floki was my favourite! :smiley: I liked Bishop Heahmund as well. And Ivar!

Yes the Paris ones were really well done I thought. I think my favourites were the earlier series but I liked them all. I did like the fiery battle in series 5.

I think the story of Ragnar was based on mythology and he died in the myths so I guess he had to die in the series, it was sad though.
  • kelics
    @66Mustang need to rewatch it just to refresh the memory
  • chiarieds
    Was Ragnar a mythological character tho? - found this interesting: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Ragnar-Lothbrok/   

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    I like to sit with the wife and watch a tv show or movie, we have a big collection of films on bluray and dvd, i also stream movies, but prefer to have a physical copy, if i'm working on a clay sculpture i often sit at the kitchen table in the evenings and just pick at it, i love my artwork, but it gets very stressgfull sometimes working on the lifesized pieces
  • 66Mustang
    That was interesting to read @chiarieds :)

Brightness